85 HP Force water flow problem model 856X7B

We have just installed a new water pump impeller on the lower unit. The impeller was installed with a clockwise set, meaning if you were looking down on top of the impeller the vane tips would be bent to the left. prior to installing the lower unit we ran a hose up the water tube to verify clear water flow, the water flowed up the water pump discharge tube and out from the exhaust/water discharge near the prop, it looked great. We installed the lower unit, and started the engine in a large drum, with about 7 inches of water covering the water pump intake. The engine started right up, however as we ran it for a short period of time we never saw water flow from the engine either from the exhaust area near the prop or from two "power flow" discharge ports on the intermidate housing on the engine. We shut it down promptly, and saw "smoke" comming from the "powerflow" ports but never any water. Finally the "high temp" alarm came in. We 're lost as to what we could have done wrong, or what our next step should be. We had done a compression check on this engine all 3 cylinders were 125#, so we really would like to get this up and running. Should we drop the lower unit and try turning the shaft/pump by hand in a bucket of water? Will that work? Help summer is half over. Thanks

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 85 HP Force water flow problem model 856X7B

Did you put the shaft key in the shaft then slip the impeller on the shaft over the key then put the housing over the shaft press down on the housing and turn it clockwise to go on the impeller? it sounds that your impeller is not turning...

On this partictular motor the 2 power flow ports will not have a steady flow of water just a sputter.. if you bring the rpms up after you know you have water flow at high rpms it will start to flow out. it discharges near the prop seeing smoke or steam out of those ports is normal i would say (mine does it) i would take it out and make sure u have that shaft key inserted correctly in the impellar if not it wont turn the impellar...

I really don't think it's the key I did exactly what you said to put the water pump and housing on before I put in the lower unit and I'm pretty sure the impeller was turning. When I would normally run it as you said it only sputtered water and exaust out of the two ports, but smoke never continuoslly poured from the ports after i shut it off and the high temp alarm didn't go off. I know it's overheating are there any other suggestions as to what may be wrong.

Thanks 8)

Think I found the problem. I just pulled the thermestat and it was extremely coroded. I ran the engine without it in and more water flowed out of both ports than ever before and it ran great!!!!! I just ordered a new one and hopefully it runs just as great. Hopefully problem sloved! d:)