Experts, Please Help! 96 DT225

jimspitler

Cadet
I have weak/no spark on the left side. (sometimes it's weak, sometimes there is no spark) The only sensors on the motor are, air pressure, oil flow sensor, air temp and cylinder heat sensor. When I close the circiut on the oil and heat sensor, I get warnings on the gauge. The air temp sensor changes the timing when I disconnect it, but there is still little or no spark. I haven't played with the air pressure sensor. I removed the thermostat on the bad side w/ no change. I'm starting to lean toward the CDI?

Please help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Experts, Please Help! 96 DT225

your going to need a spark tester and a CD-77 or equivalent multimeter.
without it you cannot test anything. best I remember the alarm does not shut off a complete bank but causes a mis-fire on all plugs to limit RPM to 3000. loss of spark on a bank will most likly be either loss of input to the ICU/CDI or a defective ICU/CDI.
I would start by testing the charge coil inputs to the CDI and the ICU inputs to the CDI.
its not hard but will require the correct test adapters or creativity.
test carefully as parts are very expensive.
the pulser coils control spark to two cyl at a time.the CDI controls them by banks using inputs from the high and low speed charge coils.
a weak charge coil or defective CDI can shut down a bank.
looking at the R model service supplement the charge coils are wired to supply voltage bank to bank. but like I say you will need the specific manual for your model. R is a 94 model.
by losing an entire bank I would carefully test the inputs to the CDI paying close attention to the charge coils and wiring.
a failed sensor will affect ign timing not spark.
a failed sensor will also set codes on your monitor.

jimspitler

Cadet
Re: Experts, Please Help! 96 DT225

I ordered a peak voltage adapter from CDI electronics. IT arrived today. Thanks for the info!