1988 3.7 with bogging problems--HELP!

ssbaw

Recruit
here's the deal.......my 1988 3.7 with the Merc quadrajet immediately bogs and stalls when I move the throttle from dead neutral to full throttle. The motor starts right up and idles just fine. When I throttle up to around 1500 rpm it is fine. But when I put it forward to take off the motor bogs, coughs and dies. If I paly around with the throttle and feather it up until I "catch" a position, the boat goes right up to full plane and will accellerate and dec-ellerate. BUT, as soon as I go back to dead neutral and then give it full hole shot throttle it quits. It will alsways stsrt right up and idle fine after it bogs out. Strangely, when I throttle up in neutral ther is NO bogging ou. It will only bog out under load from nuetral to any throttle up beyond 1500 rpms.

I tried running a bottle of ring Guard through the fresh new tanks of gas( 25 gallons and the gas here is made with 10% alcohol which I am sure is not helping), no change. I just rebuilt the Q jet with an after market kit. Nothing changed, does the exact same thing. New points too. The motor itself runs strong. Burns no oil, generator puts out and have never encountered this frustrating problem. The obvious to me was an accelerator pump but that is now new and it didn't work.

At wit's end........any prognosis out there is welcome. Can't hurt!

Thanks

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 3.7 with bogging problems--HELP!

Can you run some tests to see if you lose spark?

I would try to nail it down to electrical v.s. fuel, etc first..

also...

The ignition cut out switch on a merc alpha 1 drive is meant to cut out ignition (for a split second) when moving the throttle remote from an in gear position to neutral. Although that system shouldn't be involved going from neutral to forward, it may be worth looking into.

ssbaw

Recruit

b00tstrap said:
Can you run some tests to see if you lose spark?

I would try to nail it down to electrical v.s. fuel, etc first..

also...

The ignition cut out switch on a merc alpha 1 drive is meant to cut out ignition (for a split second) when moving the throttle remote from an in gear position to neutral. Although that system shouldn't be involved going from neutral to forward, it may be worth looking into.

ssbaw

Recruit

thanks for the tip. are you thinking it could be the coil? the dealer tuned it up before I picked it up after winter storage....new points, condenser and plugs.