One for JB and gonfshn

FLATHEAD

Commander
Dont know if you guys have high speed or not. This is a video taken by one of the members of our local fishing forum this past weekend. It is a 41 inch pure bred muskey through the ice at Lake hoptacong N.J. Released to grow to be a 50"<br /> :cool: <br /> http://www.kneedeepclub.org/Video/muskie.WMV

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: One for JB and gonfshn

Kewl!

gonefishie

Commander

They have safe ice 3 days ago? our ice ain't safe enough for a bird to walk on since early January. How come you don't ever see big fish like that fight back when the line is pulled up through the ice? If that was open water with rod and reel, woulda been a helluva fight. :rolleyes: :confused:

FLATHEAD

Commander

Got me gofishie, I dont ice fish. I have to say those guys were taking a chance on that ice, It looks to be only about a few inches thick. In fact it looks like there is open water in the background. Those are the guys from muskys inc. chapter 50, I know a few of them and I can tell ya they are as hard core fisherman as you can get.

gonfishn

Commander

What a shame. That Musky probably died that day. Even in the summer if a muskie is out of the water more than a few minutes its survival rate is cut in half.<br /><br />When a fin is out of water the air it is breathing in is scorching its lungs. On puter fins its not as bad. In freezing temps you are freezing their lungs. Its to bad that fine musky is laying at the bottom of that lake and is turtle bait now.<br /><br />A Muskie hunter would have cut the line before it got out of the water. In most States its illegal to even catch these warriors til may or June.

gonefishie

Commander

I've seen on tv people catching musky through the ice all the time from many different places. I thought whales and dolphin are the only fish that breath air :confused: All other fish get air to their lung by water passing through the gills.

FLATHEAD

Commander

It might have died but the temps were well above freezing that day. No chance of a frozen gill that day. Being that those guys are from the local musky inc chapter 50 I think they had a good idea as to what they were doing. Please dont be too fast to judge.<br /><br />They have been very instrumental in our local waters as far as raising money and stocking muskys in the local waters . Literally thousands of musky have been stocked by this local chapter<br /><br /><br /> http://www.mi50.com/html/library.html