newbie repower ?

wishihad

Seaman
I have a 19" hurricane deck w/a 88 70hp merc. It stuggles to get on plane with a 13p and maxes out at 16mph with a 11p. Bottom is dirty but the best I';ve ever seen was 21 mph w/the 13p @ 5100. I'm considering repowering to the 100 -150 range. Thoughts, suggestions?

Also, anyides if this is a long or short shaft?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: newbie repower ?

Howdy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

What is the boat rated for, wisher?

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

First, clean the bottom and coat it with a good wax. You will find that it performs much better and looks better as well.

Next, what is the max h.p. for that boat? A 19 foot hurricane deck boat is a lot to push for a 70 hp merc. IMO get as big of an engine as your boat and budget allow. You cant go wrong with a v-6 (generally 135 hp or greater) as they have a ton of power and torque.

wishihad

Seaman

The boat is rated up too 150hp. I stopped by my local marina and he told me that I probablly had a massive build up of barnacles and that I would not be able to remove them myself. He quoted me 3k to to sandblast the bottom and another 1.5 k to bottom paint. The boat has been in the water for a 3 months and I did tell him ithat it did not have any bottom paint, which it may or may not. I know the bottom is painted black but do not know with what.
Does anyone have any tips on removing barnacles if thats the issue?
tnks!

JB

The first thing you must do is clean the bottom. Most of it can be done on the trailer with a PLASTIC scraper.

What comes next depends on what sort of fouling you have. . . barnacles, moss, or whatever.

Sandblasting is too expensive and probably overkill.

If you are going to leave it in salt water, bottom paint it.

If your boat is rated for 150hp, 70hp is far too underpowered. Most boats need at least 70% of rated HP to perform satisfactorily. That would be around 110-115HP.

Were it me, I would put a 115HP EFI 4 stroke on it. Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda. Even a DF140 Suzuki would be a great powerplant. Another option for great user friendliness, economy, clean running and quietness would be the Evinrude ETEC.

Good luck. :)

wishihad

Seaman

JB said:
The first thing you must do is clean the bottom. Most of it can be done on the trailer with a PLASTIC scraper.

What comes next depends on what sort of fouling you have. . . barnacles, moss, or whatever.

Sandblasting is too expensive and probably overkill.

If you are going to leave it in salt water, bottom paint it.

If your boat is rated for 150hp, 70hp is far too underpowered. Most boats need at least 70% of rated HP to perform satisfactorily. That would be around 110-115HP.

Were it me, I would put a 115HP EFI 4 stroke on it. Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda. Even a DF140 Suzuki would be a great powerplant. Another option for great user friendliness, economy, clean running and quietness would be the Evinrude ETEC.

Good luck. :)

tnks!

Does it make diffence, effort wise if I clean the bottom, assuming barnacles, when they are wet or dry?

Any ideas about how to sell what i have afind a replacement? Did I mention I'm cheap?

Oh yeah, does amyone know what type/length my 88 merc 70hp is or do you need more info to tell?

Thanks Again!:)

tashasdaddy

serial number would help. if you're cheap boating is the wrong hobby, and if you don't do routine maintainance it gets more expensive. i trailer all my boats, so have not had to deal with the barnacles and bottom paint.

JB

A wet bottom is MUCH easier to clean.

wishihad

Seaman

Paul said:

It's 20".
I found a local shop that sell used OBs, they have a 88 100hp merc and Mariner also have 84 150hp merc, all are the correct length and come with a 30 day warrenty. I'm on the fence between eith 100 or the 150. The 100 will way less and burn less fuel, I have to traverse a section of my outlet that is 12" deep so weight is an issue. He's willing to to sell me the 100 for 1750 then give me 750 for mine and add 200 to swap for a total 1200 for the 100 or 1700 for the 150hp.
What would you do?
tnks 4 all the input so far.
8)

goatherder

Seaman Apprentice

All things being equal(that is if all the motors are in more or less equal condition), I'd rather have the 150. I had a 115 on an 18' deck boat similar to a Hurricane, it was sufficient, but barely. I wouldn't want a 100 on a 19' Hurricane. I'm not convinced the 100 will burn less fuel than the 150, especially if you find yourself running at full throttle more often to get the speed you want out of it.

JB

Given those choices I would go for the 150, wisher. 100hp would still be below the 70% criterion.

wishihad

Seaman

goatherder said:
All things being equal(that is if all the motors are in more or less equal condition), I'd rather have the 150. I had a 115 on an 18' deck boat similar to a Hurricane, it was sufficient, but barely. I wouldn't want a 100 on a 19' Hurricane. I'm not convinced the 100 will burn less fuel than the 150, especially if you find yourself running at full throttle more often to get the speed you want out of it.

Should I be concerned about the age diffrence or weight diffrence? Does anyone know what the dif would be?

JB

Do not be concerned about either, wisher.

The weight difference won't make more than an inch or so difference in trim and 4 years difference in 20 year old engines is trivial. The chances are about even that the 150 is in better shape than the 100.

tashasdaddy

150 you don't have to run wot, running 3/4 throttle will save gas compared to the 100 wot to attain the same speed. and you have the extra power when needed, as skiing or tubing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

easist method tp knock off barney's is with a piece of 1x4.
just push.
once you get all the barney's off you will need a good sander with 80 grit to take off the nickels that will be left.
take care to only get the nickels and leave the gelcoat alone.
I am with the rest on the motor. the 150 will work nicer than the 100.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Go with the 150. You don't have to use the power if you don't want to, and you WILL use less fuel. You have a deck boat. Deck boats equal lots o' friends. Friends equals weight. Weight equals needs-more-power. You will thank yourself. Don't know what to tell you about the barnicles beyond what has been said.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Hit the barnacles with a high pressure washer as soon as you get it out of the water. That should get most of um. They can be a bitck to get off if allowed to dry.