Johnson 60hp 1971 Slow Crank (Solved: Bad NEW Battery)

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New to boating. My mom Gave me a boat she has had stored but not running for a year or so.

I bought a new marine battery, new tank and new gas with 50:1 oil mix

When I turn the key with it in nuetral it cranks very slow.

I think it might be stuck in FWD or REV? Would this cause it to crank really slow? I moved the shifter back and forth a few times to try to maybe "unstick it" from gear but that did not work.

When the shifter is in nuetral, should I be able to spin the prop freely? Because I can't...If I start turning the prop the flywheel on top also turns.

Any Idea what is wrong or what I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Carl

D

DJ

Re: Johnson 60hp 1971 Slow Crank

The engine should NOT turn over in any gear, except nuetral. If it does, you have bigger issues.

Typically, slow cranking is due to several issues:

1. Bad connections. (check the battery engine ground).

2. Bad connections, under the hood. (solonoid, etc.)

3. Underrated/weak battery.

Obviously, you have limited experience with outboards.

Go to the FAQ's sections and look at:

1. Awakening a sleeping outboard.

2, Basic outboard maintenance.

Buy a manual. It will be the best $30.00 YOU EVER SPEND.

They're available here on iboats. I prefer the Seloc.

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I read the FAQ before posting, it did not address the slow cranking. I will try putting it in a gear and see if it still cranks.

Should turning the prop coz the flywheel to spin or vice versa when it's in neutral and not running?

Thanks,
Carl

PS yes, the wires are rather cracked and old looking I will start with replacing those next weekend and try cranking again...how long can it run without the water muff on it? In fact...Where does the muff go? :) I seriuosly dont know but it did come with one.

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I looked at the manual page but am unsure which one I need. I have a Johnson 60 HP 1971 3 Cyl.

Model: 60 esl 71c
serial #: J3496478

Thanks,
Carl

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That motor has Hydro-Electric shift, which very simply means that it has to be running to shift. Not running, it will always be in forward. That's normal. However, it should be turning fast enough at cranking speed to shift it into neutral. Will go back into forward as soon as you stop cranking.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carl,
Was the motor stored properly? I'm wondering if the pistons are stuck or partially seized.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Muffs go over the water inlets on the gearcase. Like F R said, your motor defaults to the FWD gear.

Make sure that all your connections are good clean and tight. It is possible the starter is also in need of rebuilding.......but first make sure all of the connections and grounds are clan and tight.

It might not be a bad idea to pour some seafoam or marvel mystery oil into the cylinders with the motor tilted all the way up to make sure the pistons arent sticking.........

I had the Evinrude version of your motor, you need to have good connections and a full charge with it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Connect one end of a jumper cable to the positive battery terminal. Connect the other end directly to the starter post. If it now spins normally, you have some poor cable connections. If it doesn't, connect the second jumper cable between the negative battery terminal and the engine block. Repeat the jump test. If it now spins normally, the ground cable is the problem. If it still doesn't spin normally, you either have a bad starter or the engine is tight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To answer a couple of your other questions 1) the engine will run until it seizes if you don't use muffs. It will burn up the water pump impeller in a heartbeat as well. These are water cooled engines -- they need water. :|

The engine will not crank at all with the shift lever in gear. It must be in neutral (the prop will go into neutral automatically) when the engine starts. If you do get it running, change the lower unit gear oil. It takes a special lub available at your dealer.

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the jumper cable trick, Silvertip, That sounds like something I can try tonight after work.

Thanks again,
Carl

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:

Tried the jumper cable trick but the way the post is on the starter if I try to clamp on it it grounds out because there is really no room for the clamp...

Anyway, I stripped the wires on the battery side and put 2 new clamps on. It now turns a bit faster but not much.

If I take the spark plugs out and hit the starter it spins very fast.
So it doesn't seem like any seizing is going on in the motor itself.

I guess the next step it to re wire the thing and try again.

I bought something called a "Marine Battery" from Wal-Mart....Did I buy the wrong thing?
It's an "Everstart 24MS-6 Starting"
Marine Cranking AMPs at 32 degrees F: 625

Cold Cranking Amps: 500

Did I buy the right type of battery?

Thanks,
Carl

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:

Got a different bigger battery. Cranks good now..

Still Wouldn't start though.

Checked all 3 Plugs, No spark on any.

What's my next step?

Thanks!
Carl

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 60hp 1971 Slow Crank (Solved: Bad NEW Battery)

Get a manual and check your wiring from your motor back to the battery.. if everything checks out good check your powerpack.

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AlanR said:
Get a manual and check your wiring from your motor back to the battery.. if everything checks out good check your powerpack.

Yes..I want to get the manual but the manual djohn linked a few posts above in this thread does not appear (to me) to be the right one, as I have a 3 CYL and the cover of that manual says it's for 1 or 2 CYL. I don't want to buiy the wrong manual if I don't have too.

Zep--

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All the wireing, tho old appears fine. What is the powerpack and where might it be located?

Thanks!
Carl