Is this worth trying? ebay: scam or bargain?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There was a Honda BF50 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150017262858&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

I bid $1325. Then I Emailed the seller a few questions. He refused to answer and instead offered to sell it to me offline. I quit bidding.

There were 23 more bids, ending at over $3K.

NADA say it (2003) is worth between $3400 and $4500.

Now I get a second chance offer from the seller to buy it at $1325. The other 23 bidders were "unable to complete".

I would really like a BF50 for RED SKY. I realize that this is probably a scam, but what are the chances that I could actually get that engine for $1325?

PW2

Commander
Re: Is this worth trying? ebay: scam or bargain?

The key is to limit the risk. Not sure what the rules on PayPal are, or the various cc companies about disputing a transaction, but you might try that route.

Is there a Honda dealer wherever it is located where they could give an appraisal? How much would they charge?

Generally, why would a person sell on EBay for $1300 something they could get roughly twice that much locally? The old rule "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" has rung true for me over the years, but then I have been probably scared off some real deals from time to time. Who knows?

Good Luck

jfinley2000

Recruit

Use extreme caution. Do not reply to any of his email's without making sure that they come through Ebay. You can do this by checking to see if the same message is in your inbox on your messages on your MY Ebay page. Scammers can make their email's look just like a Ebay email. I have had this happen to me, luckly I cought on. I was going to get a 6000 dollar boat for 1900. Seemed like a really good deal, contacted the real seller through Ebay and he quickly responded telling me to look out, it wasn't him. If it seems too good to be true, it usally always is.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

JB I do ebay as a living.
Did the second chance offer come through the ebay channels? If not it is a scam.

The seller is brand new and I would be cautious. The spelling errors alone indicate shady to me.

If you got the offer via ebay channels (not regular e-mail) ask the seller for a telephone # and call him. If he is serious that will help.

Hopefully there is an iboat brother close to the motor and ask them to check it out.

Opua is not in the USA ?????
too cheap ?????
registered less than 1 month ?????
Only the second item he has tried to sell - it could be "hot" (ie... no controls).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

After looking at the listing, forget about it.
Somethin's fishy.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The ad says "from our Marine Shop in Opua - large selcection of 2nd hand outboards - all brands and sizes - finance available!"

Opua Marina is in New Zealand, www.opuamarina.com . You might contact them to find out if it's really one of theirs. Curious why it would be in Kalifornia.

JB

Well I trolled this dude. Said I might be interested. Asked for shipping and other charges.

He Emailed me that I can have the engine for $1325, including shipping and insurance. 8)

So I asked him some other questions, suggested by ebay. 8)

Wanna see if he will incriminate himself without taking any of my money.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ask him where the motor is and tell him you will have your son-in-law pick it up. That will shake his tree.

Sadly if he does incriminate himself NO ONE will follow it up and prosecute. I would bet he is not in the USA if it is a scam. Ebay will dump him and he will devise another bogus seller id.

JB

Excellent idea, Bob.

I did ask where the engine is. He didn't answer, just asked for my address, etc.

I will tell him I have a son in law nearby who will pick it up and pay cash. . . but he has to tell me where to go. 8)

Here is the text of my Email to him:

"Tell you what.

My son in law lives just a few miles from Moreno Valley, in Murietta Springs.

Tell me exactly where the "package" is and I will send him there with cash. He will require documentation sufficient to title it in Texas.

I await your reply."

Let's see what he does now. My guess is that he will disappear.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[quote}The other 23 bidders were "unable to complete".
[/quote]

1.This alone doesn't make sense at all JB! I am pretty sure he is only interested on getting you to send him your money!
2.Be very suspicious of any one sending email off line; this emailer is most likely not the seller listing it on Ebay.
3.And as suggested by others; sellers feedback of "0" is definitely a suspect! Also, even is sellers had lots of positive feedbacks, check what they'e buying/selling; sometimes they run up a lot of positives feedback from buying cheap $1 or $2 items. Someone also suggested that positive feedback could be stolen from someone else's too!
4. I don't see a relationship between item location in Moreno Valley, California and New Zealand. Smell fishy here...
5. I am basically not comfortable buying large item unseen from private party through Ebay.

As they said JB; if it looks like a duck...
But, good luck in looking for a 4strokers, for your RED SKY; right?

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops, what happen here JB: I meant to post your quote:

The other 23 bidders were "unable to complete".

one more cast

Captain

JB, unless that second chance offer came in your MY eBay messages it is a scam. I get a half dozen a month.
I've even got 2 second chance offers on the same item from 2 different people.

JB

Yes, I know it is a scam.

Got an ebay message from another bidder warning me not to accept any second chance offers.

Here is his "reply" to my Email (above):

"Hello,
Before any deal i need your full name and address so i can know how
much i will have to pay for the shipping.
Thank you and I will wait for your email with your details."

I am doing this to help other members recognise how these criminals operate.

End of story: I will do nothing further.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Scam or not - I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from a seller with a 0 rating. He hasn't completed even one ebay transaction. He just registered under that name July 18th, of this year. Everyone has to start somewhere, but beginners on ebay don't get my money, let alone more than $1,300.oo.

Ebay is all about the seller's reputation, which is documented in their rating score. This guy literally has no reputation with a zero score. Personally, I won't bid in an auction for anything where the seller doesn't have an established rating and considerable time as a registered user at ebay.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Terry, I have bought and sold on Ebay for years and I will not do business with 0 rated sellers. I have even stopped bidding on items that had 0 rated buyers, if it a significant purchase. Trust is the only way to make sure you are getting a real deal and the ratings are the only way to establish trust.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Nearly always, new ebayers buy, not sell.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Co-worker got a "second chance" email once. They wanted him to send money using Western Union to some proxy in some country...blah blah blah. The original item was in NY and by chance he was going to be in the area the following week. They refused to let him come by and pick it up and pay cash. He emailed the original poster and the winning bidder (through ebay) and foudn that the item was in fact won and paid for by the winner.

-JMW

JB

Similar in this case, Mr. Will. The second chance offer came from a different Email address than the "seller" and did not show up in my ebay inbox.

jall65

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB,
I received an SCO on a boat and I didn't get it in my ebay message's reported to ebay and it was a spoof and attempt to get my money and account info(do not clink on a link that comesin such emails)....You need to forward the email header to ebay AT spoof@ebay.com They will reply with an automatic email but then you will get another email that contained their investigation...Plus you need to block the email address that you received the the message from

whywhyzed

Banned

I had one like that - I won a 3.0Liter Cobra motor.... it got all weird.
I googled text from the ad and found the legit item on an Australian auction site.

The weirdest part was how eBay didn't seem to give a crap when I reported it.