I hate my boat!

LubeDude

Admiral
Not really, I had to remove the smart tab rams to send them in for replacements and I tied them up to go fishing this morning. I had forgotten what a pig this thing is without them. Very noticeable difference on holeshot, Nose to the stars), and planeing speed. Also, it`s about 3-5 MPH slower. Best I could do was 5,300 RPM at about 51 MPH. This was with my Turbo 25P Four blade. Can`t wait to get them hooked up again.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: I hate my boat!

LubeDude said:
..... Also, it`s about 3-5 MPH slower. Best I could do was 5,300 RPM at about 51 MPH.....

Holy Moly! 51 MPH??? When you go fishing, do you use a fishing pole, or do you just run them down? 8)

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

So, just curious as I'm considering buying these for my boat, why did you need replacements?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

LubeDude said:
Not really, I had to remove the smart tab rams to send them in for replacements and I tied them up to go fishing this morning. I had forgotten what a pig this thing is without them. Very noticeable difference on holeshot, Nose to the stars), and planeing speed. Also, it`s about 3-5 MPH slower. Best I could do was 5,300 RPM at about 51 MPH. This was with my Turbo 25P Four blade. Can`t wait to get them hooked up again.

Geesh luber i know the weather has been lousy and our econ suks............ do you really need to have a affair right now? 8) Anyway's look's like you have the itch, just make sure you get the thrill you seek and know the cost............. anyway's good luck ............. Peace out.

LubeDude

Admiral

willamettejeff said:
So, just curious as I'm considering buying these for my boat, why did you need replacements?

I beleive now that this is a case of "Pilot error"! I already had them packaged up and ready to send in and gave John at Nauticus a call to explain. He basically said that I had probably installed one of them upside down.:^ One of them had no dampening effect. He said that if it was upside down that it would act like that. I had just messed with the adjustment and I may have unknowingly turned one backwards. He told me he would warantee them anyway.

Even if it is faulty, Nauticus will take care of you.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe this site should be renamed smarttabs.com

>Also, it`s about 3-5 MPH slower. Best I could do was 5,300 RPM at about 51 MPH.

If those tabs are helping your top end, I think you have some other issues with OEM trim, weight distribution etc.

I'm as hard core fishing as the next guy but I can't imagine being disappointed enough with 51 vs 56 mph in a bass type fishing boat to post about it. You must be traversing some serious distances in search of <insert your favorite fish here>...

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info LD. Planning on putting a set on my boat if I ever finish rebuilding it that is. d:)

KaGee

Admiral

Whaaaa... Whaaaa.... Whaaaaa!!!!!

LubeDude

Admiral

MrBigStuff said:
Maybe this site should be renamed smarttabs.com

>Also, it`s about 3-5 MPH slower. Best I could do was 5,300 RPM at about 51 MPH.

If those tabs are helping your top end, I think you have some other issues with OEM trim, weight distribution etc.

I'm as hard core fishing as the next guy but I can't imagine being disappointed enough with 51 vs 56 mph in a bass type fishing boat to post about it. You must be traversing some serious distances in search of <insert your favorite fish here>...

Seeing that your somewhat new here, i won`t be too hard on ya.

I have been testing different things with the smart tabs and different props for quite some time here. This was a halfhearted attemp at some humor. If you couldn`t see that, then you need to get to know me a bit better.

I posted the speed difference to show that it wasn`t just in my head that I thought I had actually picked up some speed when I installed them a couple years ago. If you think that they will not do what the manufacture says that they will do, you have another thing coming. Because of the hole shot improvement I was able to use a more aggresive prop and gained some speed. I rebuilt the induction system on it this winter and somewhere I lost some performance that I have yet to find.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same experience a couple months ago. I removed the actuators and tied up the tabs so that I could get some baseline statistics on my boat. What a piece of junk my boat was without the tabs. I usually see posts from others raving about the immediate improvement their new tabs made. When I first installed my tabs I could barely tell the difference, but I did notice a few months later when they were gone. I was sold on Smart Tabs after I removed them and could not wait to get them back on.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

>Seeing that your somewhat new here, i won`t be too hard on ya.

Take your best shot if you feel the need to. Although, I really didn't see how my post was offending you. Maybe I should have sprinkled some smileys or tongue-in-cheek emoticons where it could be taken the wrong way.

>If you couldn`t see that, then you need to get to know me a bit better.

That works both ways!

I'm not disputing that the tabs helped your hole shot but that at top end they should be out of play IMO.

And you really must be doing some serious travelling for that kind of disparity to be relevant. Where I fish, you'd be at the other end a few seconds before me. d:)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

MrBigStuff;

Welcome to iboats!

We are the manufacturer of Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs, and now ProTrollers.

Your comment regarding the Tabs being out of play at the top end leads me to believe that you may not be familiar with our design and function.

If the Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs worked in the same manner as helm controlled Trim Tabs you would be 100% correct. Once the boat is at speed the tabs would be retracted.

However, Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs do not use helm controlled electric or hydraulic actuators. We use a Nitrogen gas filled actuator which holds the trim tabs down at slow speeds then allows the water pressure to push then up as the boat increases speed. In the retracted position (at cruising speeds) the tabs continue to be under pressure and this creates enough stern left and control the ride and handling. For example, porpoising is eliminated, chine walking is eliminated and turns are more level and positive. The system is 100% active and similar to the suspension system on your car.

The increased speed comes from a few different things; 1) the smoother ride (no porpoising) allows you to trim the motor out to increase the efficiency. 2) the smoother ride allows the boat to build speed (bouncing creates a braking action). 3) since the lower pitch prop is not required for the hole shot (no hole to worry about), a higher pitch prop may be used.

Keep in mind that the system is always active.

In any event, our Tabs do allow the boat to attain more top speed. If you would like to talk to me directly please call our toll free number 800-233-0194.

LubeDude

Admiral

And you really must be doing some serious travelling for that kind of disparity to be relevant. Where I fish, you'd be at the other end a few seconds before me. d:)

I only set my boat up to perform to it`s best potential, I don`t run all around at WOT all day. Your boat will be more economical to run if you set it up to perform it`s best.

Sometimes I like to throw a huge roostertail, (Like my avitar), Not the best as far as performance, but it`s fun to do never the less.

mattttt25

Commander

i'm glad john explained how speed is increased. i think some people just think they increase speed and don't really understand why- the tabs improve boat attitude and help it stay there. pretty simple.

i do have to point out that helm controlled tabs, properly used, can do the same. on calm days, my tabs are up and i can attain all the speed my engine will give me. on chop, my tabs can be used to improve the attitude and correct any list from wind or passenger loading, thus improving speed.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mattttt25

I would not disagree with that. I spent 19 years on 24 to 32' boats with helm controlled tabs and got pretty good at adjsuting them to the best position. It became second nature when I was in route cruising to my destinations. Most people with boats under 25' don't realize what trim tabs can do for the over all efficiency and performance of a boat, regardless of the manufacturer.

The Dealer salesmen selling a 19' boat with a 5.0 V8 says "this boat does not need trim tabs, it will get on plane easily" or "Our hull design is the best and it does not need trim tabs". Two months after the guy owns the boat he's trying different props, etc. because he is not happy.

Trim Tabs are NOT A FIX FOR PROBLEMS, they are the single best over all performance device you can add to nearly any power boat. They allow you to adjust the hull design to the conditions. HP & Props come second!

You don't see Greyhound Busses in the Indy 500, regardless of the HP.

LubeDude

Admiral

There is no doubt that helm controlled tabs are better on a larger boat and John will even admit it. His product is primarily designed for 21' and under. What I like about the Smat tabs on my boat, well one of the things, is that I don`t have to fool with them all the time. Neat thing about that is that when I come to a stop I have no back wash at all and it was terrable before. I can just chop the throttle and it will slow right down and the rear end pops up and nothing washes over the rear end.

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've said this before, love my Smart Tabs!

But they don't make for a good step when getting onto the swim platform. :p