FLAME ARRESTOR ---> BROKEN OR NOT ???

kimchee

Seaman
Can someone please tell me how to tell if a flame arrestor needs to be replaced or not?

I frequently clean out my flame arrestor with carb cleaner, and notice that the carb cleaner does a pretty good job...

However, I recently had my carb rebuilt, plugs changed, and manifolds+risers all replaced... YET, I still have a hard time starting after I have run the boat a while... ARHHHH !!! Talk about getting aggrevated when troubleshooting !!!

I have now theorized that it may be the flame arrestor, cap&rotor, or fuel pump? (btw, I also changed the water-gas separator too)

The reason why I think it might be the flame arrestor, is because when I take it off, I notice that it is a little easier in starting... HOWEVER, if it were the flame arrestor, wouldn't that also affect the starting (when cold)?

Everytime I goto the marina, I have no problem starting when cold, it is only after I have run the engine a while, and while I am in the ocean...

PLEASE HELP !!!

D

DJ

Re: FLAME ARRESTOR ---> BROKEN OR NOT ???

Removing the flame arrestor will give you a little more air, but not that much. Leave it on.

You stated that you had some pretty extensive work done. Your issue sounds like slight vapor lock. Did anyone move your fuel lines? Too close to a manifold, perhaps?

kimchee

Seaman

yeah... I explored the possibility of vapor locking...

But I was told by my marina that vapor locking is pretty unusual in their opinion...

I have done extensive reading on this subject, and have chosen to ignore it only because the solution to vapor locking, to my understanding would be to replace the current steel fuel lines, with USCG approved rubber ones... Assuming I am correct on this matter, the whole idea of messing with fuel on my boat kinda' scares me.. So, that prompted me to ask my marina about switching out the steel ones with rubber ones... That is when they felt that I would just be wasting my money...

JUST BECAUSE you opened the book on this possibility (which I appreciate any help on, thank you)... The next time I go out, I will wrap the steel fuel line with a wet rag, and see if that helps before I shut off... I guess the next step would be to wrap the steel line with some insulation?

But gosh, do you have any other possibilities? I assume the reason you didn't bother commenting on the flame arrestor, is because, like me, you feel they rarely go bad...

Thanks

kimchee

Seaman

Hey, can I somehow use some starting fluid spray to help me identify the problem?

Bondo

Staff member

Flame Arresters Don't go Bad.......

It Sounds to Me like the Choke might need to be looked at.......
Maybe that Carb Rebuild needs Another Good Tuning.............

kimchee

Seaman

bond-o, thanks for clearing up the matter on the flame arrestor... Can you comment a little more on how the "choke can be looked at a little more closely"?

Keeping in mind that, if the choke was malfunctioning when the boat was warm on the water.... Why it wouldn't malfunction when cold?

As far as tuning the carb... Do you suggest I run with a higher idle?

Thanks for your suggestions

Bondo

Staff member

If the Choke is Set Too Rich,...... It May be Rich when it's Warm........

As far as Tuning the Carb,........ It's about Float Settings,..... Mixture Screws,.....
And getting the Choke Set Right............

Higher Idle will do Nothing,................ Except Trash your Outdrive...............

kimchee

Seaman

Bond-o thanks for your patience with me...
I will be looking closely into everything you said and report back !!! I guess it seems obvious I am a newbie.. my 2nd season on the water...