Fixing holes on the windshield.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got no less than 6-7 holes the sizes of about 1/4 to 3/8" on my windshield that the previous owner drilled out to hang his electronics gears etc. It's made of the regular "plastic" material with built in tinted grey shade.

Would anyone knows how to fix these holes with decent result. Any input is really appreciated, thanks!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fixing holes on the windshield.

If you just want to fill them without making them too obvious, and make things water tight, then here are a few ideas:

- Fill with clear silicone rubber. Slice off excess with razor blade after it hardens for a few days.

- Find some plastic dowel and cut pieces to fill holes. Use adhesive like Krazy Glue to hold the pieces in place.

Otherwise, I really don't know if they can be fixed without replacing the windshield with new plexy or polycarbonate.

Some info that will help us help you:

What is the style/shape of your windshield? ie flat, curved

Is it a classic wrap-around like the old runabouts or square like the 70's and 80's boats?

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark! I like the clear silicon rubber repair idea, where do you get those? The windshield is like a 3 flat sided; but the holes are all up front on the flat side.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Silicone is sold in tubes and goes under a number of different names. The technical term for it is RTV Silicone (room temperature vulcanizing). It is available in clear and white and sold in small tubes under the GE name which is carried by most home improvement stores in the plumbing area.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If its flat pannels, and you are handy, you should think about cutting new pieces and installing them. Stop in the home stores like Home Depot, Lowes etc and look at what they carry in plexyglass. It is very easy to cut with a saber saw, or they can usually cut it to size for you. If not, check at your local hardware store, they will almost certianly be able to cut plexy to your size. Especially if you bring in the old window pane

Most flat windshields were put together with aluminum frames with rivits at the corners that you can drill out to dis-assemble, fit in a new piece, then re-assemble with new aluminum pop-rivits or aluminum screws.

I suspect from your question about silicone that you do not have a lot of "do-it-yourself" experience.

Maybe ask your friends or family to check it out for you and print off this thread to show them because new plastic windows are rather cheap and not too hard to install.

This is a case where those flat 3 sided windshield styles are very nice to have!!!

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip and Mark42,

Okay guys, I'll go look for it at the Home Depot/Lowes. Mark, you're right, I don't do that much DIY's as much as you do; eg: I never refurbish a boat before; but I do the usual "week-end mechanic" stuffs and fixing things around the house.

Thanks again!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

ST this would be a good project because it involves more mechanical skill and less "finishing" skills needed with fiberglassing and gel-coats.

Look the frames over well and take notes on how it is assembled. Pay close attention to any rubber/sealer used around the windshields if any. Most can be replaced using silicone or cutting up bicycle inner tubes.

Aluminum screws and pop rivits are available at the hardware store. It is a good idea (especially with marine/wet stuff) to use same metal fasteners. Use brass on brass, aluminum on aluminum, etc. Keeps the corrossion down drastically.

Take some pictures if you can and post them. Folks here have lots of experience to share. Pictures will let them give you the very best advice.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark,
Thanks for your taking the time to follow up; but I don't think I need to disassemble the windshield; no rivets nor any rubber sealers involved or needed.

They were just fastened with small bolts to a specially treaded rubber grommet around the perimeter of my console; and the holes are all on the top left corner.

By the way, this is going to be one of the few Winter little projects that I have in mind; and the boat is 275 Miles away; I'll tow her home later in December...

Since you ask for some pictures, okay, here's one that show the windshield, but I don't think you can see the holes, though:

IMG_2257.jpg

Mark, actually I am more interested on showing you one of my little project: Notice the low profile bench seating? I designed it myself (took me many weeks with lots of scratching on papers-and on my head too! d:); and have it upholstered:

IMG_2248.jpg

Now I doubled the seating capacity of my boat, from 2 to 4 adults; and I only used 3 wing nuts to fastened it to the center hatch's slats, so it's easily removable:

IMG_2249.jpg

Hope, all is okay with you, so you can do some more projects Mark! Did I tell you I was impressed with your Oldie but Goodie (on your avatar) ?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

St,

Nice design! That looks like a well thought out and designed seating upgrade. I like that it has storage under the seat, and the original storage under the center hatch is still intact. Making it easy to remove was a good idea too.

Thanks for the complements on my boat. You did a superb job of adding more seating to that center console.

And it looks like you have a bimini top folded down in the rear, so you already have some sun protection. Nice boat!