Musky Rod

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got an old Penn 750 in good shape that's been sitting around doing nothing for about fifteen years (since I moved out of Florida). I want to set it up for Musky. What kind of line and rod would you Musky guys recommend to pair with it?

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Musky Rod

I am assuming you will be using that reel on a trolling combo. The design of trolling rods are not as sophisticated as casting rods and therefore can often be had for less than $50. On the other hand, a premium Musky casting rod can take you over $200. Braided line in the 50# to 75# arena is a good choice. The good line isn't cheap and as a matter of fact may cost more than an inexpensive trolling rod. But after spending all your time and resources to catch the fish of 10,000 casts the last thing you want is a line failure. I use last years line as a backing so that I can line two reels with one spool of fresh Power Pro.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, I was thinking a heavy action 7' rod with 30# line. How does the Power Pro work on spinning reels? You think 50# + is really necessary? I've landed a lot of Pike on 14# line. I was planning on doing more casting than trolling.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far as the braided line on a spinning reel, I don't have any first hand experience since I've always used it on baitcasting reels. However, I understand that it does not leave the reel as well as mono for casting applications. As far as the line #, one of the problems with landing big fish is that they sometimes fall on the line after jumping out of the water. Therefore the weight of the fish in addition to your drag setting can mean the difference of a broken line when the fish returns to the water after exhibiting their acrobatics. Another issue is that although you may be using a steel leader, the integrity of your line is compromised if it gets around the fish while landing. Remember most of the new braided lines have a # rating which is a significant multiple of regular mono diameter. For instance 50# power pro is an equivelant diameter of something like 18 or 20 # mono.<br /><br />A 7ft heavy action rod is a good choice for a casting rod. Depending on size of the fish you anticipate catching and the baits you are throwing a med/heavy may even be more practical. If you are fishing from a boat a longer rod will make landing and figure 8ing a little more difficult.

FLATHEAD

Commander

I use a St Croix 7' medium heavy fast action rod when I throw the big lures. A heavy is a little to much for me personally. I have power pro braid on several spinning rods and it works great. It cast better than mono and like was said above it will hold up to just about anything you put it through. Keep in mind the braid has no give whatsoever. When that big monster hits the bait hard the rod has to absorb it all.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at a 6'6", MH, Daiwa Musky rod today. I'll probably stop back tomorrow and pick it up.