Hurricane season is picking up speed

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well it looks like either today of tomorrow tropical storm Chris will be come a hurricane and it looks like it will be coming into the Gulf in a few days time. The below graphic should update as the NHC updates it.

121324W_sm.gif

For us Gulf Coast residents, we always make sure we keep up on the tropical weather. How many on here live along the Gulf Coast? Ivan tore us up pretty bad two years ago and then Dennis came and ripped the bandaid off again last year. I hope this year we fair a bit better with the storm fairy, but if not, I am about as prepared as I can be. Generator on standby, gas stored for at least a week of generator power, and all the othe necessary hurricane items purchesed already. I trailer my boat and have it secured durring the storms. But my father in law owns a larger boat and we have to anchor it in open water durring a hurricane and he has gotten lucky in recent storms. We had 7 anchors holding his 32 foot house boat and it held up. I hope Chris has little inpact to any one here along the coast. I hate to wish these things onto someone else, but I think Pensacola has paid its debt to the hurricane fairy for at least another 10 years or so.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hurricane season is picking up speed

The Hideout is a few hundred miles inland, but if that thing is gonna drop about 30 inches of rain (what we are behind for the last 18 months) I'll take it, wind and all.

LadyFish

Admiral

Not sure exactly where you are located skibug but we're watching this one closely. We live right on the water on the Gulf Coast.

We will be leaving on Sunday for Cozumel, Mexico. Now the pre-trip preparation for us has just included hurricane preparedness here at the house. :/

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We live just to the west of the 30N on the extreme left hand side of the map.

I dont get worried till it gets in the gulf.

I am glad the media has something to talk about now, I was kinda feeling sorry for them.

Ken

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LadyFish said:
Not sure exactly where you are located skibug but we're watching this one closely. We live right on the water on the Gulf Coast.

We will be leaving on Sunday for Cozumel, Mexico. Now the pre-trip preparation for us has just included hurricane preparedness here at the house. :/

LadyFish,

I live here in Pensacola, FL. These things love to come in the gulf and make a sharp right northward turn right at us. So like you, I am keeping a close eye on this storm. Ivan tore us up and Dennis just put salt in our wounds last year. Hopefully two years in a row with direct hits from a Cat 3 storm are enough for the seasons to come. Our beach community is still in ruins in most places and my parents house is just now almost finished from a total rebuild from Ivan 2 years ago. I don't like being in the path of a hurricane, but I will put up with them for the ability to live in the little known boating paradise I call Pensacola

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

nah-nah-naaaah-nah-nah.... I'll get it before ya'll will....:love::/:^:%

rwise

Captain

Like JB said send it on through if we can get some rain out of it!

LadyFish

Admiral

Local meterologists are predicting that it will hit somewhere along the Texas/Louisiana Coast as a Cat 2 mid to late next week. Apparently, there are two high pressures that will keep pushing our way along with a low over Texas that will keep it from moving any further west toward Mexico.

I hope and pray they're wrong.:/

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LadyFish,

I never listen to the forecast until it is about 3 days out. The truth is that they really have no clue where it is going to go this far out. I will do my initial hurricane checklist when it enters the gulf, but until then weather tends to do its own thing. The National Hurricane Center says they have a 180+ mile guess as to where it's going up to five days out, but they have been known to get that wrong.

Take hurricane Charley in 2004 for example. Down in the Carribean, they were saying that it was coming for the northern gulf coast, but Charley decided to make a right hook into mid/southern Florida.

To make things worse, Chris is a small storm and makes it hard to predict. The computer models use points that are approximately 79km apart to base movement and weather patterns and predict their movement. When a storm is small there are less points for the compter models to predict the path. If you look at all the compter models that the NHC uses you will see that there is a wide range of possible predictions. The NHC usually will use the average of all the models, but when they are spread out everywhere, they pretty much rely on their meterology skill (guess work).

ob

Admiral

How many feet above sea level are you fellow Gulf coast members located?Our home is inland a few miles and sits 13.5 feet above sea level.I don't look forward to the day of a cat 3 that comes inshore just below the CC Tex coastline.To heck with the rain.I can wait till Fall.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Yep, we got our eyes on this also. We still don't have the band-aid completely on here yet, still hauling debris away, with alot still to go. :'(

All I can say is, everybody needs to start huffing and puffing and blowing to the south. :^