888 Overheating, Problem Solved--Lesson Learned

NoName

Cadet
I posted several times last month about my 302 overheating. It appeared that I had water flow from the lower unit, so I tried everything I could think of--checked the mans, risers, circulating pump, searched for obstructions...Nothing. I finally took it to a professional. They first did a leakdown test to check the head gaskets. No problems there. Then they found a 4-inch split in the rubber hose that passes water from the lower unit up through the transom. With the hose off the thermostat housing, there was plenty of water flow, but when attached, there was enough back-pressure to force the water back out the split hose. The lesson learned: It's good to learn as much as you can about your engine, but when you have a real problem, take it to a pro! While there, I had them replace all the bellows and seal the upper and lower units. It cost me several hundred bucks, but every penny was well spent. Thanks to all on this forum who gave great advice. You can see my boat at http://www.normrogers.8m.com/boat.htm