Water in boat

r j f

Seaman
I noticed the rubber roller was worn out and the hull has been rubbing on the steel frame. It has worn though the first couple layers of fibberglass. I was starting to clean the boat before heading back to the dock when I seen about 2 inches of water on the cabin floor. When I checked under the boat later I couldn't find any holes or deep grooves other than the one were the hull rubbed. Now would make it's way though this. Also what's the best way to repair this?
Thanks for ant help
r j f:^

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water in boat

Post some pics and let us see the damage.
2 inches of water is not good!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Contrary to popular belief, fiberglass is not waterproof. If your keel is worn to the fibers, they will draw water in like little straws. This is how hulls/keels get soft. If it's real deep, get a glass kit and build it back up and re gelcoat it or paint it. You might be able to tell if it's the source because it may remain wet. That said, I don't know the extent of your damage, but it seems like that's an awful lot of water. If you're running an outboard, it would almost have to be the source. If you're running an I/O, I'd be checking ALL possible sources of water entry.

r j f

Seaman

bjcsc said:
Contrary to popular belief, fiberglass is not waterproof. If your keel is worn to the fibers, they will draw water in like little straws. This is how hulls/keels get soft. If it's real deep, get a glass kit and build it back up and re gelcoat it or paint it. You might be able to tell if it's the source because it may remain wet. That said, I don't know the extent of your damage, but it seems like that's an awful lot of water. If you're running an outboard, it would almost have to be the source. If you're running an I/O, I'd be checking ALL possible sources of water entry.

r j f

Seaman

bjcsc,
It's an outboard and the damage is toward the bow, just in front of that first roller. It's a half inch wide and about twenty two inches long.
r j f

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

fix it, you also may have wet foam floatation.

r j f

Seaman

tashadaddy'
I never thought of that. Any idea of how long it will take to dry out after I repair the leak?
Thanks for your input.
r j f:^

rottenray6402

Ensign

Chances are it will never dry out by itself under the deck. If it is water logged then the only cure is to pull the deck and the soggy foam and redo it.