6 Gallon Tank

jozer5307

Cadet
I currently have a 6 gallon tank on my 1984 Bayliner
Capri with an 85 hp force. How long will I make it on the water before I should have to fill up again? Say if I was doing water sports vs. just sitting out there and fishing? Do you reccommend getiing another 6 gal tank? Or just buying 1 12 gallon so I don't have to keep switching the fuel line?

tommays

Admiral
Re: 6 Gallon Tank

I use to have two 6 gallon tanks it lets you know when you have to start thinking about makeing it home :)

Tommays

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

jozer5307 said:
I currently have a 6 gallon tank on my 1984 Bayliner
Capri with an 85 hp force. How long will I make it on the water before I should have to fill up again? Say if I was doing water sports vs. just sitting out there and fishing? Do you reccommend getiing another 6 gal tank? Or just buying 1 12 gallon so I don't have to keep switching the fuel line?

There are many variables to the amount of gas you use. Are you pulling skiers, cruising, or fishing? Generally higher speeds use more gas. A six gallon tank is not very much. A second six gallon tank is a nice safety net. Actual use will dictate how much you need. Keep track. You might want to carry a little two or three gallon tank for a reserve, depending on where you boat.
Good Luck. It is always to have gas and not use it rather than not have it and need it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

At wide open throttle the rule of thumb is to put a decimal point one position left in the horsepower rating to get the gallons per hour. 85 HP = 8.5 gallons/hour at wide open throttle. Your 6 gallon tank would last less than an hour. At $3.00/gallon that gets scary to be sure. Obviously it will last longer at less than full throttle and when you are not pulling water toys. Remember -- these numbers are "approximate".

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

For your setup, right now I would just add another 6 gallon tank. That way you know you can make it home.

A bigger tank is heavier and harder to get in and out, so the big 12 - 18 gallon "portables" are really not that portable. Plus, filling portable tanks in the boat is a bad idea because the gas fumes that exit the tank lay in the boat and are explosive. A permanent tank has a vent that is extermally mounted so filling is not a problem.

With 85hp, you might want to think of a bigger permanent tank, say 24 gallons and up with guage. Tanks are expensive, so if price is a major issue, ebay is a good choice for low priced used tanks.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a merc 65hp on a 14.5f/g sportsman, and it came with 2 6gal tanks, so far I have only used it in a small lake, fishing/tubing/general crusing around getting the hang of the thing, but if I were to replace a tank which I will do eventually I would go with with a 12gal, use it first it will last a fair ammount of time then you have 6gal to think about heading home with...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

silvertip's rule o'thumb tracks with my experience...but half the consumption at a good cruising speed say 3/4 throttle. six gallons will be gone in no time if you're playing...add a second tank...switching the line is no bother, and who wants to lift 12 gallons into the boat. You do know you have to lift the tank out of the boat to fill it, right? And avoid marina gas every chance you get...pay way more for a risk of watery fuel...and lots of times they only have 92 octane.

[edit...ok I just repeated what mark42 said...next time I'll read first type later...]

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Id get another 6 gallon tank if you lug them to the gas station to fill them, if you take the boat to the gas station get a 12 gallon as most stations have a long enough hose to reach into your boat to fill it up.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I also vote for two 6 gallon tanks. They will be easier to balance the load with. A single 12 gal, would almost have to be on the boat centerline.

jozer5307

Cadet

I've heard a lot of good suggestions, I was thinkg that maybe I could buy a 12 gallon tank since my tank will be sitting in the center of the boat back at the transon. I think that the gas hose will reach the tank if I pull the boat up next to the pump at the gas station, right? Also do you know if the gas lines will screw into all universal tank or do I need to look for an adapter? I was thinking of buying a 12 gal, and using my six as a backup if need, how does this sound. I really don't like the idea of having to switch the gas cable every hour out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

tempting as it is...portable tank = lift it out of the boat to refuel...look at all the boats with built-in tanks...how many of those have fuel filler necks inside the boat?

Not to mention the fume situation described above by Mark42...allow me to expound:
Built-in tanks have (by USCG regulations) vent to the outside of the hull. This is because (in part) all the empty space inside a gas tank is full of fumes..."fumes" is what puts the "gas" in "gasoline" - it's the part that explodes. Incoming liquid gasoline displaces the existing gaseous gasoline (aka "fumes") which exit through the vent. With your portable tank in your boat...the exiting fumes exit out the filler hole, and, being heavier than the surrounding atmosphere, settle down into your bilge to wait for the bilge pump or battery to provide a spark. That's just one opinion...I'm not an engineer...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Always filled up with tanks in the boat at the gas station. Figured by the time I drove to the water, anything harmful would be gone. Course I always filled my tanks in the boat on the water too. With an outboard and the tanks in an open area, I don't see the issue... It's venting some fumes all the time anyway out the caps.There is always the chance of spilling fuel in the boat while fueling though. Never had a problem with that either. Not advocating this technique. Just how I did it. Gotta be careful... Got built-in tanks now....

jozer5307

Cadet

My 12 gallon tank wouldn't be out in the open it would be under a compartment in the back of my boat. Unfortunately right next to my battery!! So is this going to be a fire harzard? Are the fumes going to stay locked into my boat if I fill it up at the gas station even though my gas tank is underneath the transom?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I don't quite know what you mean by "Under the transom". But if it's going to be in an area that is completely enclosed and next to the battery, that is not good. You don't want to go with that plan.One spark and it's over. Best to come up with another idea on location...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

you mean under the splashwell?

Not so bad if the compartment has at least one open side and the tank fills the entire compartment - less space for fumes to accumulate. In any case the tank will vent into the compartment. Granted, how often does a battery actually spark? Guess it's one of those low-risk-of-occurence-with-enormous-downside type of events. A submergible bilge pump would expect to not ever spark. but those in-line fuses do blow sometimes...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The risk is almost all at the time of filling. Filling a tank builds static electric charge, and the fresh gas fumes laying in the boat can ignite when the next object comes in contact with the tank and a static spark is made. Like when you reach in to screw the cap back on.

I have pulled into the local station at home to fill up four 5 gallon tanks for the tractors, etc. The attendants who know what they are doing will always remove the tanks from your vehicle before filling. I believe its a state law that any portable tank cannot be filled in the vehicle (or boat as case may be) here in NJ. I think its a good practice to get into, regardless of law.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Mark42 said:
The attendants who know what they are doing will always remove the tanks from your vehicle before filling.

Not to be argumentative with the issue, but is that the same attendant that was working at McDonalds last week?

jozer5307

Cadet

Well, I went and bought a 12 gallon tank and it was too big to fit under the splashwell, so I'm going to have to go with 2 - 6 gallon tanks under the splashwell. I am going to remove my tanks from under there to fill them up after hearing all of your ideas.Most importantly I want to avoid any explosion or fire so if I have to remove them to fill them up I will do that then. Thank you for all of the responses.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think we're talking plastic tank here. So the issue of spark is not a factor...Also, being under the splashwell is considered an open area a far as I know. That where I have mine at with no problem filling them. But I do understand the concern and would encourage you to do what's best for your situation...

rottenray6402

Ensign

It is much easier to pre mix by removing the tanks also with out spilling oil in the boat. When I had my 6 gal portable tanks I had 3 of them so if we were going for a complete day of water skiing or tubing or an overnighter I would bring all 3 and leave one at camp or in the truck if the lauch was close by. That way when you use one up you can just replace it with a full one and increase your time on the water by 30%.