Trimming 400 stringer omc? (how to)

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do you trim a omc 400 stringer? I know you adjust the nuts but how do you know wether to go up or down? My boat takes a long time to plane and shooots sort of a roooster tail up once it has planed. Any ideas?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Trimming 400 stringer omc? (how to)

Do you have a trim guage on the panel and a red up/down button on the throttle?

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

no, it's a manual trim

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

sikz3 said:
no, it's a manual trim

How do you "manually" trim an outdrive while you are moving on the water???

MelLandry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DukesFin said:
sikz3 said:
no, it's a manual trim

How do you "manually" trim an outdrive while you are moving on the water???

With a stupid friend and a fifth of Jack Daniels.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually you can "semi-permanently" trim OMC Stringers by adjusting the front motor mount(s) if it is equipped as mine was. For what sikz3 describes he needs to raise the front mount (s) a little at a time until he gets what he wants. It does sound like it is trimmed too far out (front of engine too far down).

Somebody else chime in please. My '84 140 had a single screw with an adjustment nut and a jam nut if I recall correctly.

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes qc that is how mine is. So you think I need to raise the front of the engine?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

With the manual trim then I would adjust the way you want the boat to ride while up on plane. Raise the front of the motor to lower the Bow. Also raise the front of the motor to get on plane faster.

If get the front of the motor too high then the boat will plow when on plane but will get on plane fast.

If get front of the motor too low then the bow will be high when on plane will probably be faster top speed but not ride as nice and take a long time to get on plane. When the weather or seas turn rough will be a very poor ride.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, what Boatist said. I would try a little up on the front mount at a time, until you get the best balance . . . This is a compromise issue for sure. Best setting for planing, comfort and speed. Good luck!!!