omc 800 series selectrim

pissedriteoff

Recruit
omc 800 series select trim not working. solenoids click but no movement. is it electrical or mechanical and can anyone help

KaGee

Admiral
Re: omc 800 series selectrim

What motor size and year??

eja

Cadet

I had an '81 OMC 800 series that did the same thing. I found that if I hit (lightly) the power trim motor (back left), it would then cycle. As a result, I pulled the trim motor and cleaned the brushes on the motor. It had gotten condensation in it and corroded the contacts. After that, it worked like a champ!

greentahoe

Seaman

It sounds very much to me like your grease has hardened in the hinges of the outdrive. Mine does the same thing at times. I take the covers off the hinges, remove the bearings, one at a time, to clean the old grease off, then reinstall the cover and grease it. Do the same thing on the other side after you've finished the first one.
Usually when this happens it's when I'm ready to load the boat on the trailer. In that situation I have a stout line with a loop spliced into one end that I toss over the back end on the outdrive so I can pull up on it while I'm holding the toggle switch in the up position. That usually gets the outdrive up until I've had the opportunity to clean and replace the grease.
Good luck.

pissedriteoff

Recruit

ok well it appears we may have 2 different topics or fixes going here. The selectrim is the wormgear mechanism in the front of ther engine, that tilts the engine. I think maybe there is confusion to the tilt on the outdrive. Its working fine. The boat is an 81 tempest with 305 chev engine. As for hitting motor on back left I do not have one. NMy outdrive tilt is back right and it appears there is a motor below the alternater front right when inside looking at front of engine. As I said in original post I get clicking sound both up and down but no movement. I know there is a worm gear in there and I have greased it at the nipple. Thanks for all responses to this point.

whywhyzed

Banned

You can get some heavy jumper wire (14 ga. or so) and try jumping 12V power to the motor direct. If it works, then remove and clean all relay connections and wire terminals for the trim system. That black sealant you see all over the relay terminals caused voltage drop problems after 20 years or so.

pissedriteoff

Recruit

So what your saying hystat is that it could be the motor. I have already cleaned all contact points at the solenoids.So if I take some jumper cables, ground the black and run the red to the motor it should activate? Im no mechanic but I like to learn and do my own thing.

KaGee

Admiral

Yes, that is what he's saying.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The hydraulic system has the motor in the back left corner. I think the worm gear setup has the motor in or close to the worm gear assembly (front of the engine). I never have seen a 305 with this setup. Only Ford V8 and a few V6's.