Common problems/failures among older two strokes

Deep_Blue

Seaman
What would some of the most common problems amongst older (1980-1990's) two stroke engines be? I have seen many that have electrical problems and i was wondering if there is a specific component of the ignition system that regularly fails. thanks everyone

ricksrster

Commander
Re: Common problems/failures among older two strokes

Usually the most common prblem is neglect. Yearly change your Gear oil. At least every two years change your impeller. Keep the carbs clean. check he fuel pump. check and maintain your wiring. These old boat motors run for years and years. never ever run without water or the battery hooked up.

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I may add to the question? I see all the time that it is recommended to change the impeller every two years. This may seem like a dumb question, but it is an honest one. I changed my impeller about a year ago, but the engine hasn't seen the water since. Does the rule apply whether or not it sees actual use?

Deep_Blue

Seaman

I would believe only if it sees use or if water is left sitting in the engine (especially salt water) for a prolonged amount of time will you need to Periodically change it. What type of material is it made of? plastic, stainless steel or something else... if it is not used, none of the elements besides heat and cold from the weather can degrade it. If it is used then the acidic water, debris, salt, and general stresses of use can slowly damage it. so i would think!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most impellers are rubber or a synthetic rubber substitute.

They can age and become brittle sitting on the shelf.

Most will actually last several years, but a failure can be catastrophic, so we change them each 2 years, regardless of use.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The impeller should be fine if the motor sits for a season but it is a flexible rubber compound and will degrade with time. If you are able to do the replacement yourself it doesn't take long and the parts are not too expensive, changing the impeller regularly is one of the best insurances you can provide.
A blown impeller = at best a ruined day, at worst a ruined engine

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Electrical and ignition failures are inevatable, especially when talking OEM stators and switchboxes. However, these problems are not catastrophic and can be fixed.

If you keep the fuel system and cooling system up to par, the engine will last forever. This means using fresh or near fresh fuel and rebuilding the fuel pump and cleaning the carbs every 3rd year. Alot a failures can be attributed to a lean jet that pops a piston. Check you fuel lines too for cracks and/or stiffness.

On the cooling system end...change the water pump, tstat and poppet valve every 2nd season.

Decarb every now again as well, and your engine will be happy happy.

FYI: Replacing the head gaskets every 3rd season is sometimes recommended if running in saltwater.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I might add one more note -- 1980's and 1990's motors are not OLD. There are gobs of 1940's, 50's and 60's motors in everyday use. Those aren't old either -- they are "seasoned". An old motor is one that you don't recognize the name on the cowl.