'06 90HP ETEC vs. '04 90HP Merc Classic

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The nearest Alumacraft dealer has an '06 16' Dominator that's all set up with a new 90HP ETEC. I've got an '02 16' Fisher Avenger with a like new '04 90HP Merc Classic that I'd like to trade in. The Merc is the best part of my Fisher package and it has been babied since new with barely a scratch on it. It's also got 3 years left to run on its extended warranty.

I love the simplicity and reliability of the Merc and figure it'll be around a long time if I continue to take care of it. I figure it'll also be cheaper and easier to repair and rebuild than the ETEC. I asked the dealer about putting the Merc on the Alumacraft but he balked saying the controls were different and would have to be changed out.

The last time I frequented this board, the ETECs were having teething problems. I hate the idea of giving up a simple, reliable, good performing engine for something that's an unknown quantity. Right now I have a problematic boat with a very good engine. I don't want spend money to go to a great boat with a problematic engine.

So what's the iboat verdict on these new small ETECs? Are the electronics reliable? Can they be fixed if there's a problem with the electronic controls or is it a matter of swapping boards/CPUs until it runs right? If the High Tech stuff fails does it fail gracefully or does it take pistons and bearings with it? Any horror stories?

I've worked with computer controls for years and am aware that the latest is not always the best.
Bob

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: '06 90HP ETEC vs. '04 90HP Merc Classic

Keep the Merc. and get the boat you want. Nothing against Etecs at all, but you have a good, known, reliable motor of the same HP. I would stick with it. If he won't install your motor and controls, go elsewhere...

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

etecs have a good future ahead of them. right now, as with any brand new, untested product, they have some small problems. I think that etecs and similar designs will be the future of 2 stroke outboards.

But with that said, i agree with rick. The Merc has been proven and is a very strong motor. That carbed two stroke will give you a lot of time out on the water and when it comes time to rebuild, like you said, it will definately be cheaper than to rebuild an etec.

Any standerd marine mechanic or guy that has the time and right tools can rebuild a 2 stroke like yours with ease, where as an etec, you will probably need someone who is specialized in working on etecs and all of their advanced electronics.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I personally wouldn't touch an Etec right now either, maybe in a few years once all the "bugs" are worked out. I was at the local Evinrude dealer checking there used outboards out (looking at a 02' 70hp johnson 4stroke) and in the 45 minutes I was there 3 different people came in asking "when are the next Etec computer updates coming out?" since they were having issues with there engines and waiting on updates to solve them. I asked the one guy how he liked his and he said he it was pretty good, and GREAT on fuel usage except when trolling it seemed to suck just as much gas as his 90hp crossflow did (he has a 90hp Etec) trolling but that it did use about 1/2 the gas at crusing speeds compared to his old crossflow 90.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

I agree- anyone can work on that Merc. Parts are available easily. It has a very strong track record and is a wonderful engine.

I have no problem with the E-Tec, its just that the Merc has a known long term track record. If dealer won't accomodate you, then go elsewhere.....