throttle up problem....again!

pmas701

Cadet
Hey guys, here we go again. Last time i fixed this prob. by adjusting air/fuel mix screws on carbs. It ran pissa! (1985 80 h.p. 4 cyl.)Now , I seem to be back at square 1.
It will rev. up ok in nuetral, in the water tho I do this manually via the carb. linkage. If I rev it w/remote it doesnt acheive same rpms and sounds ruff. Cant get her to idle either without maximizing idle adj. bolt, but when I do this ,I cant shift into gear.After backing off on idle adj. bolt, she will idle, but not correctly, and when i do put it in gear to throttle up test , she stalls. I checked fuel lines to pump & no probs. there.Also getting plenty of spark on all 4.Took fuel pump cover off to inspect diaphram , its pristine.Fuel tank has been used often with new gas(10% ethanol) prior to all of this.Had carbs off during my last issue a month or so ago....they were clean as a whistle....Im about ready to have a bon-fire!!!....any suggestions?
Pete

ricksrster

Commander
Re: throttle up problem....again!

check you cables for a kink. Disconnect your cables at the motor and see if they move smoothly. If not it could be bad cables or your control box. If you disconnect the cables at the control baox and it doesn't move smoothly, try geasing up the moving parts.

PuckHog

Seaman
Re: throttle up problem....again!

Check the resistance of the stator. I have a '78 80hp with the identical problem and when I checked the stator, the low speed windings were off the chart. If you look at the spark it seems fine, but it's actually very weak, so opening the throttle under load stalls it. I've ordered a new stator which to my surprise is still available by Quicksilver. When I get it in and tested, I'll repost.