Engine went Clunk - now won't go into gear

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any guesses on what broke?

I was running yesterday at @ 4k rpms in deep water w/ my twin '89 V4 120 Evi's. The starboard engine goes "clunk" like I might have hit something. I stop, raise the engines, check them over, and nothing. Start back up, and it will not engage in gear. Rpm's go up, but nothing at the prop. The shift cable and linkage is all good.

The beauty of twins - I still get to destination - albeit at 6 knts.

Get home, drop the lower unit. The shift rod works, and it feels like it is going in and out of gear. Turning the drive shaft by hand, the prop still doesn't move. Also, the prop spins even when the shift rod is in gear.

I dropped the lower off w/ my mechanic this morning, so will see what he comes back with - just wanted to see if anyone here cared to guess what it might be... It doesn't sound simple what ever it might be.

Thanks.

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Engine went Clunk - now won't go into gear

Right now, my mechanic is guessing that it is a broken drive shaft. He hasn't opened it up yet, but has alot of yrs w/ these engines, and that is what it "sounds" like to him.

I've got an option to have him replace the shaft, or just swap out the lower from a like engine that he has on hand w/ a blown power head. I don't yet have the quote for either option, so that will likely be the deciding factor. Time is also an issue.

Any input on the level of difficulty to swap out the drive shaft (not sure if it is the upper or lower) if I choose to do it myself? I've got the lower unit off already, but if it is a job the requires special omc tools, or a degree in engineering, I will leave it to him.

Walker

Captain

It does require some special tools and you have to disassemble almost the entire lower unit to do the job. My guesstimate is in the order of $700-800 if the only part needed is the driveshaft. Could be more, I haven't priced a driveshaft in years.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Let me look tonight when I go back to to shop and see if you need any special tools but I think the only one you need you can make out of a cheap flat head with a grinding wheel. I will pull the manual and look. I did one about three weeks ago but cannot remeber. For the most part if you mechanic got his hands on it and played with it he will be right. It is not hard to play with one and tell if the driveshaft is broken but if he was just guessing without playing with it, and just from what you said, I could count 20 things that could cause this problem.

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I spoke more w/ my mechanic last night. He checked the lower unit over closer, and thinks the gearing is gone (not just a broken drive shaft). He can hear the gears engage, but can still spin the prop.

He feels it's not worth the time and cost of parts to pull it apart. He's got a lower unit off another engine w/ a blown power head that he will sell me for $450. I can bolt it on today.

Seems like a fair deal, gets me on the water, and he's a solid guy who will work with me if the replacement unit has issues.

More $ than I was hoping the problem would be, but hey, it's a boat d:) - right. Use it, fix it, forget it ($), and enjoy.