82 Evinrude 115 Trim goes up but won't go down

Kiwiboatie

Recruit
Hi
I have an 82 Evinrude 115. It runs like a dream but the trim quit going down. It goes up up but won't go down. You can hear a "click" but the hydraulic motor won't run. I screwed out the manual release valve and that dropped the motor down onto the pins but the pins won't retract, and I cant get the boat to plane because it's trimmed out too far.
Do you know what the problem may be? Is it the hydraulic motor or a relay/solinoid?
Does anyone know how to get the pins to retract? Are they hydraulic or mechanical, how doe they work?

hamburgerman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 82 Evinrude 115 Trim goes up but won't go down

Check the relays for the trim motor . one for up and one for down, look on the back 0f your motor listen to where the click is comming from try switching them to see if you get down then. good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you do that, check the oil supply. OMC PT&T units will go out but not in when the oil is low.

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar problem with my in-laws GT 150. I switched the relay and he could raise the motor when it wouldn't go up but, would go down. In his case the relay was bad.

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try cleaning the leads at the switch in your dash - I had the same issue, and it just turned out I wasn't getting clean juice at the switch. I cleaned mine up, applied some dialectric silicon compound, and was good to go.

Kiwiboatie

Recruit

91cajun said:
I had a similar problem with my in-laws GT 150. I switched the relay and he could raise the motor when it wouldn't go up but, would go down. In his case the relay was bad.
Thanks for the advice, it sounds less expensive than replacing the hydraulic motor. Where are the relays located?

Kiwiboatie

Recruit

rob said:
Check the relays for the trim motor . one for up and one for down, look on the back 0f your motor listen to where the click is comming from try switching them to see if you get down then. good luck!
I appreciate you help. Where are the relays. In the hydraulic motor, the black fuse box that the battery leads come out of or in the main engine housing?

Kiwiboatie

Recruit

kitebuz said:
Try cleaning the leads at the switch in your dash - I had the same issue, and it just turned out I wasn't getting clean juice at the switch. I cleaned mine up, applied some dialectric silicon compound, and was good to go.
Do you mean the tilt & trim switch on the throttle handle? Do you have to pull the whole thing apart?

Kiwiboatie

Recruit

Kiwiboatie said:
kitebuz said:
Do you mean the tilt & trim switch on the throttle handle? Do you have to pull the whole thing apart?

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On mine - the T/T switch is on the dash. There are inline butt connectors connecting the switch wires to the house wires. I actually replaced some of the butt connectors and cleaned the others. They really didn't look bad to look at, but I guess were bad enough to limit the voltage going thru. Mine stopped working one day to the next, and just cleaning up the butt connectors solved the problem.

I would look up under your binnacle and see if you can locate where the wires connect. If you can't see them, maybe pull your binnacle to check the connections. Work your way back to the engines checking any possible connections that might be bad.

I had a similar issue on my trim tabs, and it turned out to be the wire harness back by the pump. Reset and cleaned the wires and was good to go again. A little bit of corrosion can cause big problems...