4.3 Mercruiser 4quarts of water in cranckcase

carr

Recruit
I have read a lot of postings on water in oil and deiselling. My 2003 Crownline has deiselled since it was new. Memorial day (first run of the season) the engine stopped running and when I opened the engine compartment there was the not so beautiful chocolate milk covering the manifold and filling the bilge. After a long tow back the bilge continued to empty the lovely emulsified oil. When I checked the engine it is seized and I emptied 4 quarts of clear water from the engine. I replaced the water with oil hoping all would cut loose and the world did not come to an end. I have read that exesive deiselling can cause the exhaust to pull water into the engine...not sure aobut cracked block or blown gasket because I didn't have a ittle water in the oil...I have a lot of water where I am supposed to have oil. I emptied the cooling system (not a closed system) and there were no traces of oil. How could water completely replace all of the oil after the oil flowed out of the engine??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser 4quarts of water in cranckcase

Dieseling will get water into the cylinders and on top of the pistons and hydrolock the engine LONG before you got to 4 quarts of water.
To have that much water, you would need a blown head gasket between an oil and water port (unlikely) or cracked block or head or intake manifold.
Here is a service bulletin from Mercruiser on water intrusion.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_13.pdf

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser 4quarts of water in cranckcase

carr said:
Memorial day (first run of the season) the engine stopped running and when I opened the engine compartment there was the not so beautiful chocolate milk covering the manifold and filling the bilge. ??

That Sounds a a Bad Winterization job gone Real Bad.......

I'd be looking for Cracks in the Block,... Rather than Reversion.....