No Tach No Charge 82 150 HP

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
A couple of weeks ago my son crossed the battery cables, he blew the 20 amp fuse and I replaced it and everything was fine. Yesterday i started the O/B and no tach and it was putting out 12.5 V tops it's usally 13.5 or 13.7 V it has the add on Mercury regulator. I bought and install a new recifier it's now putting out 12.8 V but no tach.......Point me in the direction look at,,,,Thanks....ADDED 8:49 PM I went back out to look around the connections re-started the O/B and the starter would not disengage jiggled the key after I disconnected the battery and hooked back up and it does do it now could the key switch be at the root of the problems?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: No Tach No Charge 82 150 HP

With the key in the run position, check the wire going to the battery post (should be purple). Should be 12V there.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

bhile said:
With the key in the run position, check the wire going to the battery post (should be purple). Should be 12V there.

He means at the tach...just to clarify.

Switching the leads on the battery and cranking can blow the rect . Don't know about the regulator.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

It would not crank at all it blew the fuse instantly. We had it out a few times after it was fine, this just started yesterday

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I did the stator test per the service manual and it passed but the brand new recifier appears to be bad it failed the tree trouble shooting test chart.........back to the dealers