Won't Shift In Gear

ps486

Recruit
Hello all

I am a new user looking for some help!!! I just purchased a 1984 OMC continental Mark 1. I spent $300 and had a mechanic drain\fill all the fluids and give it a tune up. I took the boat out and it ran great. On the next trip out the following happened. We were cruising the lake not at a very fast speed when the boat went out of gear. Now it will not go into gear forward or reverse. The engine works fine but no gear engagement. I took the boat out of the water for troubleshooting. I checked the shift cable and it looks functional, from my limited mechanical viewpoint. With the ignition on (motor not running) I put the shift lever in forward and turned the prop. It turns in both directions and I can feel the gears moving. I then put the boat in reverse and turned the prop in both directions again feeling the gears turn. So this is where I am. Sorry for such a long first post but I really want to fix this boat. Any suggestions from the community on what I should next? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Paul

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Won't Shift In Gear

!984 is a stringer drive.Cobras came out in 1986,but there are a few 1987 stringer,due to boat manufacters stock.

Sounds like you are shifting ok,but the connection between the drive and the engine isn't there.On a stringer,it's usually the water pump driveshaft splines going to the upper unit drive shaft.Not a good thing to have happen.

I realize this is your first post,but I wish you had found us before you bought a stringer.Keep reading,there is LOTS here about them.

I suggest bite the bullet,fix and sell.Trouble is I can't reccomend buying.

Good Luck

DHP

jfcar

Cadet

If it a Cobra and the machanic change the stern drive lub., it real easy to get air trip in the gear case, when that air move to the top of the upper gear case, (your running down the lake) there not enough lub. and the upper gears burn up. I would check stern drive lub level and if it low check upper gears.

DHPMARINE

Captain

NOT a Cobra on a 1984 boat,but I know of what you speak .

ifcar