spray in foam

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys, there is spray in foam on sale at home depot right now for 50% off, they have it in extreme expanding 2lb, medium expanding 4lb, and minimal expanding 8lb, Iam just wondering how this foam would hold up as floatation under my floor, my floor has huge stringers, so floor support is not neceessary, I have a 14 ft, that only has 4 sections that have foam in them and it would be fairly easy to remove it and spray this stuff in, just wondering if this stuff is equivilant or close to the pour in closed cell type, or if this stuff is useless and would water log right away?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: spray in foam

jaymasta said:
if this stuff is useless and would water log right away?

Ayuh,............ It would Definitely be 2 steps Backwards.........

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did a test on some spray foam called "Great Stuff". I sprayed a big ball of it onto some plastic and let it cure. I sank it to the bottom of my garage wash basin with string for two weeks solid. When I took it out, it had taken on ZERO water. It accually came out of the water completely dry. Maybe you could try a similar test on your foam.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

bond-o said:
jaymasta said:
if this stuff is useless and would water log right away?

Ayuh,............ It would Definitely be 2 steps Backwards.........

What he said, unless it clearly spell's out closed cell urtherane foam............I doubt Home Deopt carries that type of marine foam.

freddyray21

Commander

the do sell a closed cell foam there. The density is not much, but it sounds like they have it in higher densities now. If you don't need it for support and just want flotation I would use it. It might take a lot to fill up the voids though.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes its the "great stuff" gaps and cracks polyurethane foam sealant

• Water Resistant
• Cures rigid
• Paintable, sandable, and stainable
• Exterior use

there is a HUGE box of them at my local home depot or at least there was, regular $8.57 there on for $3.49 extra stock or something, my dad has used alot of this stuff on our shed many years ago, and one place he used it, a puddle started to form on top of one of the pieces well after a few years we finally did the job properly, anyways the foam didn't take on any water, and it was still smooth and seemed to be in good quality, I ripped the piece in half and it was perfectly dry, this piece had been outside for almost 3 years directly exposed to the sky, and had puddling going on (rain) for 6+ months of the year, snow etc.....

Or......like I did, not replace the foam at all. After reading the endless debates here using the search button, I decided not to replace the foam. I use the boat on inland lakes and waterways, some that you could easily swim to shore so I was not that worried about it.

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the skin was broken on the test foam ball, will it absord water?

Matbe you should try another test just to be sure. Make another test chunk, let it cure, cut it in half and sink it. Let it sit for a while then see if it still works.

03Lightning

Recruit

haha this is a great topic, I just bought some "great stuff" and I am waiting to use it after I replace my floor.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

03Lightning said:
haha this is a great topic, I just bought some "great stuff" and I am waiting to use it after I replace my floor.

if it works it seems a hell of alot easier to use then the mix and pour stuff from what I have read on it...

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive used both . and the great stuff seemed like two pound foam . it diddnt seem to be as stickey as the us composite stuff . but only a little diferent . the 4lb i used was deffinatly more solid than the great stuff. i actualy used some great stuff to fill in some gaps . but when i poured in the us composite it deffinatly locked everything into place.. probobly be less noise from the hull with the foam also. i did like the idea of no foam though . foam is real pricey . but ill bet the boat is a little stronger with it .

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

jaymasta said:
03Lightning said:

if it works it seems a hell of alot easier to use then the mix and pour stuff from what I have read on it...

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What's with the foam? I just got a boat and am removing all the foam. What ever happened to the captain goes down with his ship?

oncebitten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's with the foam? I just got a boat and am removing all the foam. What ever happened to the captain goes down with his ship?

Right, and if the boat doesn't go down, then the captain doesn't have to either. :love:

I would price it based on how much acual foam you're buying before you start saying it's a good deal or not compared to pour-in foam. I've used the pour in foam on boats and great-stuff on my house. The pour in foam is not that tough to use, it just takes a little forethought.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Great Stuff" really is.. Use it in small amounts. It's not as cost effective per cubic foot as DIY mix and pour.
Yellow can is expanding foam an lighter.
Blue can is non expanding. (less)
http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/cons/choosing.htm
Closed cell polyurethane foam is closed cell polyurethane foam, Most properties are the same for the same weight.
Chemically impervious, floats, seals and fills.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

deeman said:
"Great Stuff" really is.. Use it in small amounts. It's not as cost effective per cubic foot as DIY mix and pour.
Yellow can is expanding foam an lighter.
Blue can is non expanding. (less)
http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/cons/choosing.htm
Closed cell polyurethane foam is closed cell polyurethane foam, Most properties are the same for the same weight.
Chemically impervious, floats, seals and fills.

yea I duno about the price thing, here on iboats they sell the foam-it kit for 73.09 plus shipping say around $80 dollars or so and it makes 1cubic foot, I have no idea how much each can of great stuff makes but I could buy 22 cans of great stuff for around the same ammount, only I could pick it up 5 minutes away, and could always go back to get more if needed, very very convienient for me for whatever reason, and Iam almost 100% certain that 22 cans will make well over a cubic ft of foam....

oncebitten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That has to be the wrong math. I paid $100 for my pour in foam and it did my entire 13' boat under sole fill plus most of my buddies 11' boat. It was way more than a cubic foot.

If fact, here's the kit I bought with information.

This is the U.S. Coast Guard approved, two-part (50/50 mix), pour-in-place, 2 pound per cubic foot polyurethane foam. It is ideal for flotation and insulation. Cured foam is not affected by epoxy or polyester resins. Not intended for structural uses.
Each kit (2 gallons total) of mixed Part A and Part B makes 8 cubic feet of foam.
A cubic foot of water weighs 62 lbs, the foam weighs 2 lbs, this means each kit produces 480 lbs of buyoancy. (Container may look different from picture).
Cost $84.00.

A 12 pack of 12 oz Great Stuff cans at Ace Harware is about $60 plus shipping. I can't imagine 12 12 oz cans can create 8 cubic feet of foam.

I can't find any yield information on the Great Stuff website. They have a comparative explanation of yeild, but no actual data that I can find.

oncebitten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I found on their site that a 12oz can gives you approx. 250 lineal feet of 1/2" x 1/2" (1/2 x 3/8 is what they claim, but I'm rounding for ease) bead of foam. So with a little math, I hope I'm not insane here.. I get 2.3 cans per cubic foot, or 18.4 cans per 8 cubic feet at an average cost, let's say, of $60 for 12=$5.00/can = 92.00 for great stuff. $84.00 for pour in. A lot closer than I thought it would be I must admit.