water shooting from exhaust down into bilge

jluedke

Cadet
Ok,
I have a 87 Capri with a 2.3. I noticed that water is shooting out from under the exhaust out of a brass fitting down into the motor compartment. Does anyone know what this is or what it means? I just bought this boat and I am wondering if it was somthing for winterizing or something..

thanks for the help

Joel

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: water shooting from exhaust down into bilge

Brass fitting is drain for winterizing. You are correct. There should be a either a plug or a petcock similar to an auto radiator drain. Tighten it up to close it, and remember in the fall to use a paper clip to poke it when you drain it. Sand/silt will stop it form draining, resulting in cracked stuff when it freezes. There are also drains on the engine block...

jluedke

Cadet

Thanks seray3
This is my first boat and I am using this and other forums to learn what I can about the boat.

I will look around under the motor to see if the petcock is down there, otherwise I will have to get one at the auto parts store.

thanks

Joel

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Smartest move you can make is buying the factory manuals for your motor/drive. If you can post the serial numbers and year and make, there are folks here that can steer you to the right ones..

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get the petcocks from any hardware store. It will be the 1/8" not the 1/4". Mine was $1.95

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joel, Welcome to the forum. There's a number of experts here that are more than wiling to offer help. Post all info on the boat, engine and drive. Factory manuals are a must. Anything else (Clymers, Seloc, etc.) are vague and leave alot to your imagination.
There are a couple of guys here that can give you a link to the factory manuals if you ask nicely.
By the way, above post, I know the petcocks are NOT 1/8", but my manuals are at work so can't tell you what size. Someone will be along to help soon.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this what's leaking?

2.3%20OMC.png

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta Love Don, even if he IS a PITA :love:

M

jluedke

Cadet