advice on 1951-1953 5hp goodyear motor

yosuthnmasa

Cadet
First off, what a great site! There is a ton of information to be had here and some very nice people.

I recently bought a 51-53 model 5hp Goodyear outboard motor. I've got a few questions about it.

On the serial number sticker it says the oil to gas ratio is 1/2 pint oil per gallon gas. Is this equivalent to a 16:1 mixture?

I read on some older threads that this motor was made by Gale a division of OCW and that it should be almost identical to an equivalent Johnson/Evinrude of the same year. Is this correct?

I would also like to get a service manual and parts catalog. I checked out kencook.com and the price of those two items will almost cost me more than what I paid for the motor. Is there any other options for getting manuals without having to pay such a hefty price?

I mounted this motor on a small aluminum boat. It doesn't seem to be opening up very much when I throttle it up. If this motor isn't almost perfectly parallel with the boat it doesn't want to start or run. When it gets low on gas, it revs up really high( the rpms or higher than when I have it full throttle with a full tank) and then calms down. It does this over and over until it kills. The spark plugs seem to be a bit wet and maybe fouled. Does it sound like I have a carburetor problem, maybe float problem?

Thanks for the help!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: advice on 1951-1953 5hp goodyear motor

Gale was a devision of OMC.(Outboard Marine Corp.)
A model number would help to date it .Also If it is a full gear shift F N R it would help classify it.
Fuel mix is 16:1 use TCW3 rated oil.
The older Gale built motors don't share much with E/J motors Possibly ignition parts with the Johnson TD20 and similar motors.
Your motor I think may be right on the edge when they started sharing more parts.And to confuse the issue more I think there were up to 3 different versions of the 5 at various times.
It does sound like you have a fuel delivery p[roblem.
I think I would go from tank to carb and clean and check all components.It is classic for any 2 stroke to speed up as it runs out of gas.
I'll check later to see if I have more specific info on parts sharing.If you get us the model number that will help.Without knowing specific year or parts sharing it is difficult to know what manuals will work.Some years/models the E/J manuals are a very close match.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, your Sea Bee is a close cousin to the Mont. Wards Sea King motors. Post the model/serial number. If it's indeed a 51-54 model, a sea king manual for that year range might serve you just as well...only a few cosmetics will be different, like fuel tank shape, color, etc. Acme Outboards has a good Sea King guide/owners manual for the 51-54 model 5 hp outboards. It's worth messing with, cause they are great reliable little motors when you get them straightened out...something you can pass along to your kids/grandkids.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Spike is right. Check the fuel line from the tank to the carb, when it's not sitting exactly square with the boat/barrel. There's usually a little filter/screen inside the tank where the fuel line connects. If that's corroded or plugged, it could keep fuel from getting to the line. If you're getting fuel to the carb, however, could be that the carb needs to be pulled thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled. The old cork floats sometime degrade and need to be removed, cleaned and recoated with a shellac or fuel-proof dope...available hobby shops that cater to remote control model airplanes. It's reving up when it's starving for fuel, which is a good sign. Also check the carb/throttle plate linkage. At the START position, the carb butterfly should be barely open and then open fully as the throttle is moved to FAST. Not hard to fix, but a manual would help you out greatly. Post back with what you find.

yosuthnmasa

Cadet

The model number is 025-3564A. I did get a manual and it is showing up as a Goodyear "Sea Bee" 1949-1950 model. I was told from the former owner that it was a 51-53 model. The Gale model number is "2G7". I've begun to look through the manual and I can't seem to find any information in my my manual for this model in any chapter. Each chapter is split up according to model number and "2G7" is not represented at all even though the model number is listed in the front. Any ideas what other model numbers might correspond to the "2G7"? There is a 5hp picture of the motor that looks very similar to mine.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Not much difference between Gale motors from 48 to about 54, after that they went with the full gear shift. Yours is a 49-50 model 5 hp according to Peter Hunn's Old Outboard Book, a real good resource on the old iron. Your manual sounds confusing, but I would bank on whatever info it gives for a 49-50 5 hp. It has enough compression to run, but it bogs and doesn't run out when you advance the throttle. That could be a dirty carb problem or a coil problem. Does it have a fat blue spark? If so, the coil is probably adequate. Have you run a compression test? Are the plugs/points cleaned and gapped correctly? It should have a Champion J7J or J6J plug. The gap on the J7J is .025, and .030 for the J6J. If you pull the plugs after it bogs and they are wet and black, it's running too rich...meaning a carb adjustment may be needed. I would check compression, check spark (clean/regap plug and points if necessary) and then clean, reinstall and readjust the carb if it were mine. If you get as far as checking/regapping the points and notice cracks in the coil covers, it's time to replace it. The fact that it is finicky unless it's level with the boat says it may have a float problem...the old cork floats can degrade and absorb fuel, making them less effective. You can recoat the cork float with spray shellac or fuel-proof dope, both available at hobby shops that cater to the remote controlled airplane crowd.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Forgot to add that the points should be gapped at .020. You can pull the flywheel to get to the coils/points with an harmonic balancer puller...available at most auto parts stores for less than $20. Keep the flywheel nut on the shaft, with the shaft even with the top of the nut, when you use the balancer puller.

n3rd420

Cadet

I cant post a new thread....? So ill post here.. I found an old goodyear outboarb motor. The owner says it ran 3 years ago before he stored it. I took the model# 025-3569 and 43765 I believe thats the serial? Can anyone tell me where to find a manual or if someone can copy theres for me... ill pay. Also how hard is it to find parts? Thanks Danny. n3rd420@bellsouth.net

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As far as posting youy may need to go back to google and do a new search fo iboats forums it has worked twice for me when i found no form for replying and whenI had to log in every time I visited.Once you are in just overwrite it into your favorites.
Your motor is a 51-53 You may find manuals on ebay or at kencook.com.If it has molded plastic coils then it shares ignition parts with similar dated E/J motors.

n3rd420

Cadet

what about parts for my motor.... are any other motors alike? Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

That is extremely difficult to say, without actually looking at your engine or having the parts catalog in hand. And I don't think any of us do. The parts catalog is a worthwhile investment in your case.

n3rd420

Cadet

I found it at a garage sale for $30 but didnt buy it! Thinking of going back to get it. But first I want to know is it even worth $30...? If I cant get parts im done! lol. Thanks.

n3rd420

Cadet

also I looked in the tank and you can see a yellowish paste in side.... Would it be worth cleaning up everthing from the carb, plugs, fuel tank... ect.