KaGee

Admiral
Re: Breaking news

Bet his woman gets short changed! :^

8)

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

His A sample showed unusually high levels of testosterone. They're currently testing his B sample (they take two samples from riders when they're tested) to see if it shows the same levels, and whether those levels have been artificially induced.

Higher levels of testosterone aren't illegal, but artificially inducing them is. It's the same with a higher hematocrit level... the body can naturally elevate that, but when you artificially induce that elevation through transfusions, EPO, etc... then it's considered doping.

So he could be guilty. But he could also be innocent. It all depends on the result of the B sample test, and what, exactly caused the elevation in testosterone levels.

Also, it's worth noting that five riders who were barred from riding in the tour due to a Spanish doping investigation have been fully exonerated. The exclusion of those riders, who turned out to be innocent, essentially dropped one entire team from the tour, a team that had a legitimate shot at winning with Alexander Vinokurov, who wasn't implicated at all.

The results of the A sample aren't in question, either. It showed elevated levels of testosterone. The B sample will be tested, and if it shows an artificial stimulus to explain the elevated testosterone levels, Landis doped. Science is objective like that.

Interestingly enough, France has some of the most stringent anti-doping policies for its athletes. Makes you wonder.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will wait to see the research on this one. It might / could be his metabolism. No condemnation yet.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am with Bob on this.

"Blah, blah, blah. . . .until proven guilty in a court of law."

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Big news downunder

The french are &$#@*!!

They couldn't get Lance (they are still trying) so they have set their sights on Floyd.

The sample was from the day he did that brilliant ride (stage 16 I think). The thing is, the testosterone he is supposed to have taken DOES NOT kick in for a week or two - no logical reason to take it on the day. All other days are clear. Also, the lab that performed the tests has been proven wrong before, they flat out refused to have the 'B' sample tested anywhere else.

This sucks bigtime - the french are #%$@*&^_+$@

Only casually. I guess you could say I am s sports traditionalist, Football, Basketball, Hockey (time permitting) Baseball, Track and since Pip is involved Soccer. Interesting that the doping scandal in track has not been mentioned. Track is not as high profile as it used to be.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]I'm addicted.

Not withstanding the drug issues, those guys are true endurance athletes. The scenery ain't half bad either. 8)

Lance would have to be the alltime greatest, I'm hard pressed to think of another athlete with that kind of stamina, especially considering his medical woes.