READ THIS --- HELP With Evinrude 1979 55 HP

doru

Recruit
Hello. I have an Evinrude 2 strokes 1979 55 HP. The motor was sitting for long time. I changed all the gaskets, new prime bulb, fuel tank, fuel pump, everything was cleand up and here is my problem :
my lower carburetor, after it was cleaned up, rebuild for 3 times now, doesn't get's gas.
My spark it's OK on both carburetors ( solenoids, sparks and spark plugs wires ok) , My fuel pressure is OK, my compression is good (difference of 10lb), but if I pull the sparkplug wire from the top carburetor motor stalls like it should, since at the lower carburetor nothing happens. I switch carburetors betwen them and now the top carburetor doesn"t do anything when I pull the sparkplug wire. I put them back together, I spray a little bit of engine starter fluid in the lower carburetor and I pull the wire and it stall. I tried to hook up the main fuel line only in the lower carburetor and to start the motor and I could't. So, there is something in my carburetor who doesn't let gas through. I can drive the boat but I have go really fast in hi gear (about 3000 rpm) otherwise will stall. It stays ok in 3000 rpm and it drives all right in higher rpm. Prime bulb seams to loose a bit of prime once in a while but I guess it is from the lower carburetor.
There is something I can do to it to work (
like live it in thiner for about 24 hours and then blow it through all the channels with air - is it safe) or maybe something else or there is time for a new one (the price in my area (Ohio) is about $260.00 and I really don't wanna pay that money.For my model motor for year 1979 the carburetor is not adjustable.
Thank you for your time and please give me some tips.:|:|:|

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: READ THIS --- HELP With Evinrude 1979 55 HP

If you haven't soaked it overnight in carb cleaner and blown out the passages, do that now.

Are the throttle plates and choke plates synched up?

Does that carb spit fuel back at you while its running?

A factory shop manual it would be a good investment if you don't already have one.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: READ THIS --- HELP With Evinrude 1979 55 HP

A bit more advice...stop using 'engine starter fluid'...that stuff has no lubrication and will wash away whatever oil you have left on the cylinder walls. Instead, use fuel mix (gas/oil mix) in a spray bottle. A couple of squirts, into the carb throat is all that's needed.
Stop running your motor until you sort out the fuel delivery problem to the lower carb. Running the motor means the lower cylinder isn't getting any lubrication.