Hydraulic Jack Plate Oil Recommendation ?

I'm in the process of installing a bobs machine jackplate on my boat. it came w/ 2 qts of what appears to be some cheapo 20w motor oil for the hydraulic lines. Should i buy a quality light hydraulic oil instead or doesn't it make a difference. I just hate to pay $800 for a jack plate just to put $.50 motoroil in it unless it doesn't matter. Your thoughts and recommendations welcomed....

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydraulic Jack Plate Oil Recommendation ?

I'm thinking tilt and trim fluid would be ideal...Others will know for sure....I would think the maker would give you what's best for it though... This is what they recommend on their website:

Keep the hydraulic pumps reservoir topped off. Fill the reservoir to the Max line. Run the plate up and down several times, then check reservoir and re-fill to Max line again. We recommend that you use a 20 weight (20W20) non-detergent motor oil in the pumps reservoir. This can be purchased at most auto part stores or directly through us.

BillP

Captain
Re: Hydraulic Jack Plate Oil Recommendation ?

Bob's Machine is THE authority for jackplates and flats boat setups...and has been for decades. Nobody on the planet can match the experience or expertise. Second guessing their oil quality is a mistake. Sleep well with what you have...Bobs Machine knows what does and doesn't work.