Repairing Pencil sized hole in hull

cjammerman

Recruit
I have a fiberglass trihull that I have a pencil sized hole/gouge that I have found. I have an Iboats catalog but don't know which product to get to do a permanent quick fix so water does not leak into the hull through this hole. Can anyone offer me advice?

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing Pencil sized hole in hull

Permanent and quick fix are at opposite ends of the effort involved spectrum.

Permanent means to get access to the hole from the inside of the boat and grind it down and re-fiberglass the area.

Quick fixes run the gammit from duck tape, sorry had to throw that in there, to epoxy putties.

If this hole is below the waterline I would have to say the only real fill is to grind down the inside and re-glass it.

We have all fixed or filled in holes all of the time with MarineTex putty http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=marine tex&view_id=40394

This will work as a permanent repair above the water line. Again below should be rebuilt.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can't get to it from the inside, you can re-gelcoat it from the outside. Sand the repair area, mix up some neutral-colored gelcoat to match your boat (iboats has both the gelcoat and coloring pigments), apply that in thin layers until just above the surface of the original gelcoat, and let it cure. After it's cured, it will take a bit of sanding, compounding, polishing, etc. to make blend to an invisable repair. For this method, you must have some kind of backing. Is it a clean hole all the way through, or is there still some of the glass exposed and it's missing a chunk of gelcoat. Most importantly, can you get some pictures on here?d:)d:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If it is a crack you will want to drill the ends with a tiny hole to prevent the crack from getting longer.

studlymandingo

Commander

The most obvious quick fix would be to go ahead and shove a pencil in it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

8).........................8) Ya know yer a redneck if you carry a pencil repair kit.:}

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

when your go out on the boat always bring bubble gum preferably the hubba bubba variety works great for sealing the small holes in a pinch :love:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Take a 1/2" drill bit and chamfer the hole edge so it is cone shapped (do not drill all the way through). This can best be done by holding the bit in your hand or using a simple T handle chuck to hold the bit. Doing this gives a larger edge/area for the epoxy to hold onto than just a hole and exposes clean surface.

After that if you have access from inside, cover hole with tape, then fill hole from outside with Marine Tex epoxy. If the epoxy is too thin to hold, either wait a little while until it starts to set and it will thicken a tad and you can put it in like paste, or mix in some plain old cooking flour to thicken it up right away.

After it is set, sand smooth. Another coat may be needed to make it fully smooth.

Touch up with paint or gel coat as you see fit.

studlymandingo

Commander

Mark, would you take the pencil out of the hole, or leave it in?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Dumb question we all know wood will rot eventually, hmmm try urtheane foam its self sealing..............8)

Anyway's what Mark say's, but i might ask Mark if you are going to open up the floor why not just lay a little tape and resin. I mean it would be not that much more work and a far better repair.

Or if your not going thourgh the floor, id thicken the marine tex to a peanut butter, and apply as much as i could up the hole (after the prep) in a very slow manner trying to get a mushroom type of effect rather than just a plug.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

rottenray6402 said:
A ball point pen wouldn't rot.......8)

Can' you read: Mark, would you take the pencil out of the hole, or leave it in? It's a PENCIL

Now stay on topic..........:}

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I assumed because he said hole, it was not filled with a pencil. If there is a pencil filling the void, then there is no hole and no problem as far as I can see.

If your going the pencil route, just be sure it is a marine grade pencil.

8)

But seriously, I would chamfer the hole from the outside and mix thick epoxy and fill. I have done this before and it works well. Especially if its below the floor and you don't want to get into cutting up floor, etc.