1986 Rebel Storage Modification

rjehmiller

Cadet
I have a 1986 Lund Rebel 16.5' with the following for storage:
Rod Lock Box.

There are two compartments in the back of the boat on each side. Each compartment is screwed down and filled with expanding foam. I would like to make these compartments into storage compartments.

1. What purpose does the foam serve in these compartments?
2. Can I rip this foam out and make these compartments into storage compartments without compromising the integrity of the boat.

I would also like to make the rod lock box into a fully enclosed rod box and put storage under the casting platform in the front of the boat.

Please let me know what you think.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Rebel Storage Modification

My boat has the same foam filled compartments near the splashwell. Foam in any boat is for floation should you swamp your boat somehow. They add extra foam near the transom to compensate for the weight of the outboard. When I rebuilt my boat I considered removing the foam for the same reasons you are considering but opted against it in the interest of safety. My boat has storage and a live well under the front deck and I would think you could add this, but you'll have to add bracing for the deck around any hatches that you create.