Marine radio, etc...

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking into putting a stereo in my boat. Being as it's a 150 outboard, I'm thinking an amp might be needed so I can easily hear the radio underway.

How wet can Marine amps get? I'd like to stick it in the back where the batteries/oil/etc are located, which does get wet, because it's where the drain leads. It wouldn't be submerged ever, just likely splashed occasionally. The other alternative is the front storage for ski's and such, but I prefer the other.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on speakers? I can install deck mount speakers up front, but I don't think there's anywhere to mount them in the cabin area, so I'm thinking of something in an enclosure that can be surface mounted.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Marine radio, etc...

There are Marine radio's , amplifiers, and speakers that are designed for marine use. Some claim they are waterproof and the price will reflect that, others are just painted white to give a marine appearance. It wouldn't mount an amp where it will get splashed. Check out any of the major online marine supply sites for options

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Master B, I installed my amp. in the back, near the engine compartment. The only problem, the heat build up from the engine causes the amp. to trip prematurely. As far as water, no hassle.

Regarding speakers, you might want to search the archives. Useful infos. there. Better yet ask Very Crusty Dude. He's the "expert" on speakers. 8)

make sure the plug is in......

MASTER Brian

So some amps, marked for marine use are no different? If so, then why couldn't I just use a spare auto amp I have laying around? Obviously, I wouldn't want to mount near an area, where there would be much water, but why spend the $$ on an amp that is no different, besides color?

I'll do some searching and look for Very Crusty Dude, sounds like he has some experience in this area....:^

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some manufacturers will take steps to better moisture protect the equipment, others simply make a nice white piece of equipment that matches most boats. Even the ones that take steps to keep moisture out can only do so much. My recommendations are to mount the amplifier in a cooler, drier place than in the engine compartment, like under a dash area. The amp should be mounted "up" i.e. heat sink up, or horizontal.

MASTER Brian

b00tstrap said:
My recommendations are to mount the amplifier in a cooler, drier place than in the engine compartment, like under a dash area. The amp should be mounted "up" i.e. heat sink up, or horizontal.

Just to clear up, I have an outboard, so I wouldn't be mounting in the engine compartment, just the area, where the batteries/oil/fuel tanks reside. I actually will probably look more into the area just under the passenger console/glovebox or the front ski/storage holder.

I'll check that thread out.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually will probably look more into the area just under the passenger console/glovebox or the front ski/storage holder.

Under the passenger console is a great place. The ski storage area may not "breathe" enough to let the moisture and heat out. It depends on your boat. If your radio will be near the passenger console as well, then you will not need to run the signal cables (RCA's, remote turn on) and speaker leads, as the head and the amp will be within inches of each other. If you decide to locate it farther from the head unit, you will need to run these cables between the locations. Otherwise your only other cable runs will be the Battery power/ground cables. Depending on the size of the amp your power cables may need to be hefty i.e. 8ga. or 10ga. ... and don't forget to fuse the power lead as close to the battery as possible (within 1').

MASTER Brian

I have a denon auto amp that is laying around that would work great for the speakers. I forget the specs but I bought it to power some infiniti speakers I bought for a vehicle I had several years ago and it's been sitting since. I think I could mount it up under the dash, which is pretty protected.

Do you think this amp will work under this location. It's not a marine amp, but it shouldn't get splashed either.

MASTER Brian

Now if I can just find some nice speakers. I'll first pull the specs from the amp, then go look.

That other post was a train wreck!!:%