69 evinrude 9.5 no spark

lukefj80

Recruit
just aquired motor have no spark. points and condensers look new. the only problem i have found is the stop switch. the wires are corroded. if you disconnect them will it spark? or jump the wires? i have tried both and no spark . any help would be great. if i have listed this in the wrong place please let me know where ineed to be thanks, luke

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 69 evinrude 9.5 no spark

If the kill wires are disconnected the motor should have spark. When those 2 wires touch, it kills the spark thru the points.

Inspect the coils, are they cracked on the outer surfaces? Clean and adjust the point gap to .020 with the points rub block aligned with the crankshaft keyway.

When you have the flywheel off, inspect the crankshaft keyway. Is the woodruff key intact or is it sheared or partially sheared?

lukefj80

Recruit

Xcusme said:
If the kill wires are disconnected the motor should have spark. When those 2 wires touch, it kills the spark thru the points.

Inspect the coils, are they cracked on the outer surfaces? Clean and adjust the point gap to .020 with the points rub block aligned with the crankshaft keyway.

When you have the flywheel off, inspect the crankshaft keyway. Is the woodruff key intact or is it sheared or partially sheared?

lukefj80

Recruit

lukefj80 said:
Xcusme said:

i was looking at the arrow where it says top on the cam to set my points. when i set it to the keyway it has spark. it will now hit but not run yet . i will try new fresh fuel. thank you for your help. luke

lukefj80

Recruit

thank you for your help. i was wrong on setting my points. luke