1991 60hp 3 cyl-- anything I should look for when buying?

merc20

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering purchasing a 1991 60hp Merc. The motor has been on a pontoon all of its life and seems to be in very good shape. The oil injection is still intact. The rig sat in fresh water during the summer months so the pain on the foot is not in very god shape (I don't care about cosmetics, just thought I would mention it).

I plan on checking all of the normal things; compression, fuel lines, etc. Is there anything specific to this year or model that I should look for? The price is $1,500 installed with controls.

Thanks.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1991 60hp 3 cyl-- anything I should look for when buying?

The price seems a little high, but if you find it in really good condition I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Find out more about the engine's history. For example, last time waterpump was changed, plugs, carburators reconditioned or cleaned, how it was put away each winter, etc.

Can you run it before you buy it?

merc20

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, runs great. Plugs look new, everything looks great. I was basically wondering if there are any potential problems specific to this motor.

Thanks

HSEMJ

Seaman Apprentice

If your able to, without to much expense. Get a third party who is familliar with merc engines to look at it and listen to it run, and do an inspection if possible. They may be able to pick-up on something that could become problem in the future.

Usually these motors are pretty strong, but like any motor, lack of maintence will shorten their life span.

Hope this helps