'93 225 runs great, then shuts down for 2 hours,why?

SgtScrounge

Cadet
'93 225 hp Evinrude Ocean. Bought boat 3 weeks ago, moved it 25 miles to a temporary slip. The motor shut down 800 yds from the slip. Next day, I replaced the water sep and in-line filter. Took it out again, ran fine then RPM's went down and it shut off. 2 hours later, it starts up fine and runs great again.It has done this 3 times, same basic pattern. Dash temp gauge never went over 170 degrees. Water jet is strong.
The motor is set up as pre-mix w/ oil line to VRO plugged. Wiring to VRO is unplugged. There is no alarm.
Why is it shutting down, and what do I do to fix it ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: '93 225 runs great, then shuts down for 2 hours,why?

You might try it with the backflow valve removed from the fuel tank.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Vent to fuel tank clear?

SgtScrounge

Cadet

Through-hull fuel tank vent was the second thing i checked. Sorry, I should have posted that. Air goes through from the outside. Did not check the hose from the tank to the motor, but it primes easily [bulb fills and hardens] but motor won't start.

SgtScrounge

Cadet

If it is in the tank, how do I get it out ??

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Have you checked for spark when it shuts down? Electronics can break down after they get hot.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, the backflow preventer/valve is usually part of the connector to which the fuel hose is attached at the tank. If they get stuck, they can restrict the fuel flow out as well as back, causing symptoms similar to yours. If you were having a hard time with a cold start, I would not be so concerned about fuel supply.

If we could eliminate these external things, the fuel pump would be the next logical concern.

It sounds like you may be filling your float bowls with your
primer bulb, but then running the fuel out.

SgtScrounge

Cadet

I don't think it is as you describe. The fuel hose is clamped to an outlet tube on the tank without any valve or other fitting. Also, I tried pumping the bulb before it stalled out and it had no effect. Also, I have been able to go about 5-6 miles at 3/4 to full throttle before it shuts down, so i do not think it is just running on the fuel in the bowls.
The theory of temperature causing something electrical to shut down matches the symptoms. What could cause that ?

I will try to get it to shut down in my yard on a flusher and check spark.

Xcusme

Commander

You might try heating the powerpack with a hair dryer to raise it's temperature and see if the motor stops.