FUEL HOSE CLAMPS?

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to clean my vst filter and my clymers manual says to use only yamaha crimp type hose clamps & plastic locking clamps. Is the true or can I just use regular screw type hose clamps & regular zip ties?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: FUEL HOSE CLAMPS?

DO NOT USE A HOSE CLAMP:
that being said why are ya gonna cut the original?
I do them daily,take 30 min and I never remove the fuel or oil lines just the 3 10mm hex heads and the screws that hold the tank together. loosen all you can before removing the tank from the block then get the last 2.
use a VERY good quality phillips or you may curse awhile.
but under the 35 psi flexing worm clamps tend to cut into the rubber and loosen. the correct clips are 7 dollars and the correct tool from snap on is about 35 dollars.
but why remove the hoses ?

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't know I could leave them on. First time cleaning a VST filter. Any secrets to changing the low presure fuel pumps? I am doing those also. Thank you you saved me some time and money.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the low pressure pumps, cut the tie straps and carefuly push the lines off the pump nipples, remove the 10mm hex fasteners and try to shear the pump away from the gasket. if the gasket does not tear it reusable. if the VST oring does not swell it reusable. if need be use vasoline to retain it in the groove.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I've used the stainless steel screw type hose clamps before .... they worked fine for me .....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have seen 3 blow off so far. why is it everyone wants to jury rig sheet instead of buy the proper parts and tools and repair the dang thing correctly. its backyard jury rig techs at dealerships that are killing us.
repair it exactly as designed and enginered and it works first time all the time.