Time for a new prop

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I am going to buy a new prop to have for high elevations and I was looking at this one:

What do you think of this one? Currently have a 4.3L Alpha 1 with a Vengence SS 19p. Do I need to buy anything else?

Thanks

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Time for a new prop

Ok, nobody knows about the Hustler.

Next question. My currrent prop is a Merc. Vengence and when pulling a boarder or if I have a boat load of people, it vents very easily (about 1/8th trim up) Can someone recommend a prop that has good bite so I can eliminate this problem?

Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

Sorry, missed your question...
The Hustler is a good all-around prop.
But, if going from a Vengeance, I think I would go with a Large diameter Apollo in a 17, or the Lexor in 17.

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Kenny. Are you recommending those props for my high altitude prop or a replacement for my 19P Vengence?

Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

These would be for higher altitude, although the Apollo may work in lower areas as well, as long as the RPM is not severly over-reved.
How much of a rise in elevation are you talking?
What RPM did you achieve with the 19 Vengeance at your current elevation?

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It would be for a lake at 4800 feet. I am looking for an inexpensive prop for high altitude. 95% of my boating is at or near S.L. What would you recommend?

Next problem:

I am also looking for a possible replacement for my current prop due to excessive ventilation. My current prop, a Vengence 19P at 900' is giving me 46.7 MPH GPS @ 4920RPM @ WOT. That is 100+ rpm over manufacturer recommended WOT rpm. The problem with it is that it vents easily with only about 1/8th trim up if I am heavy or pulling a boarder. I would like to find a prop that has better bite. I keep hearing about props that will trim all the way up and not blow out. I was thinking about a 21P to bring the RPM's down or maybe a 20P 4 blade? What can you recommend?

The boat is a 19.5 foot Sea Ray Bow rider - 4.3L FI - Alpha one

That's alot for your help!

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

ILOVEBEER said:
It would be for a lake at 4800 feet. I am looking for an inexpensive prop for high altitude. 95% of my boating is at or near S.L. What would you recommend?

Next problem:

I am also looking for a possible replacement for my current prop due to excessive ventilation. My current prop, a Vengence 19P at 900' is giving me 46.7 MPH GPS @ 4920RPM @ WOT. That is 100+ rpm over manufacturer recommended WOT rpm. The problem with it is that it vents easily with only about 1/8th trim up if I am heavy or pulling a boarder. I would like to find a prop that has better bite. I keep hearing about props that will trim all the way up and not blow out. I was thinking about a 21P to bring the RPM's down or maybe a 20P 4 blade? What can you recommend?

The Mercury Vensura is a 4 blade SS prop that is supposed to hole very well as it was designed to be used offshore. Since it is a 4 blade and might pull your RPM's down a little I would guess a 19" would be perfect.

Check out http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,53050,126_53052&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL for more info...

Try to find a dealer that will let you try one first.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

ILOVEBEER said:

Next problem:

The Mercury Vensura is a 4 blade SS prop that is supposed to hold very well as it was designed to be used offshore. Since it is a 4 blade and might pull your RPM's down a little I would guess a 19" would be perfect.

Check out http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,53050,126_53052&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL for more info...

Try to find a dealer that will let you try one first.

walleyehed

Admiral

i wouldn't worry a bit about 100RPM over..
If going 4-bld, I'd be looking into a Turbo Ultima 4..Half the price of the Vensura for 1-1/2 times the prop.
The Rev4 is closer to a load prop than the vensura.
If ya want to stick with 3-blade to keep your top speed, There are many we can look at.

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What would the speed difference be with a 4 blade?

walleyehed

Admiral

4-bld is "generally" slower, unless technology of that prop is such that it's design allows high engine running heigths as with an outboard where we can adjust that heigth for max efficiency.
I took another look at your altitude delima... I've run from sea-level to 9100ft and the best I can tell you on pitch is 1" less per 1500ft elevation change. so from your 19P at 900ft, going to 4800ft and considering the props and RPM in question, in aluminum, I'd go with a 17P with the largest blade area you can find. In a good quality SS, at 4800ft you may get by with a 15P, also large blade area, with good cup...Lexor Again, would likely be my first choice...it's a Mirage copy, and has good cup around the tips as well as the trailing edge, so it would pull a tad harder, but be a bit more efficient.

ILOVEBEER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Kenny et al, I have been looking at the Luxor and I think I want to replace my vengeance with one. If I stay with a 19P, will it bring my RPM down because of the increased diameter? Will it still pull as hard as the vengeance? Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

Let's be clear about load...do you mean "load the engine more" or "Carry more of a load".
The Lexor is designed to be a better load Carrier.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

ILOVEBEER said:
Hey Kenny et al, I have been looking at the Luxor and I think I want to replace my vengeance with one. If I stay with a 19P, will it bring my RPM down because of the increased diameter? Will it still pull as hard as the vengeance? Thanks

Let's go with the 20" Enertia - you'll love it!!

WooHoo!