ski / rope locker won't drain

craigvalk

Seaman
Hi guys.
Have an 88 Renken 1700, stern drive. Recent acquisition. In the floor of the boat I have a ski / rope storage well. It is not draining water into the bilge after rain and such. There is a drain hole in the back of it, which I have lightly poked around in to no avail. My gas tank is also in the floor, so I am afraid to force anything in there and poke a hole in the tank. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can remedy this? It's driving me nuts, I have to bail it out frequently.
The boat is a "young" 88, only has 200 hours on the clock, and was spotlessly maintained and stored indoors, so I don't think a lot of dirt and debris has ever accumulated in it that would clog up the bilge area.

Thanks

Craig

tommays

Admiral
Re: ski / rope locker won't drain

I have to clear mine out pretty regular with a bit of coat hanger all it takes is a few bits of leaf

If you have AIr you could try to blow it clear also

Tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get a heavy piece of weed eater string and use a dyke to make barbs on the ends. It is like a great snake and real flexible.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it have a PVC tube that runs back in that direction? I thought mine ran all the way under my gas tank, but it didn't. Debris had gotten jammed under the tank and caused the clog. Hard to fix permenantly without rebuilding the floor and running a full length tube under the tank.

craigvalk

Seaman

Kevin70 said:
Does it have a PVC tube that runs back in that direction? I thought mine ran all the way under my gas tank, but it didn't. Debris had gotten jammed under the tank and caused the clog. Hard to fix permenantly without rebuilding the floor and running a full length tube under the tank.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. And, sorry for my double post on the original question!
I will try those ideas out this weekend and post the results!!

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last year my ski locker wouldn't drain. I ended up shoving a drain snake through it and after a great deal of work found that it was being plugged by the cap off of a water bottle.

studlymandingo

Commander

I hit all of my drains by sticking the business end of my hose sprayer and giving them a blast; this flushes out the debris that tends to collect inside.