Depressing visit to the vet

tommays

Admiral
My dog is getting on at 11 years and has a cough and some heavy reparation the last few weeks

I took her to the vet today and kind of wish I did not, with some x-rays there is a growth pressing on her wind pipe and something strange on her gallbladder  OR it could be some strange infection so they gave here a 2 week course of antibiotics

But at least I know what’s really going on

Then they went into this whole thing about sedating her and getting better x-rays

So I ask them what for she already has joint problems that require very careful handling I don’t think it would be fair to her to start cutting her up

Just have to see how long she can stay happy :)

Tommays

heycods

Captain
Re: Depressing visit to the vet

I knew from the header I didnt wont to read that.:'(

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

:'( Thats sad tommays. Give her a good head rub from me.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I sure hope it's not critical. I have am in pin that doesn't respond to the collar and lead too well... Like a pit bull, it pulls until it cannot breathe. I can litterally hear it choking, and she has a pronounced "croop" type cough.....Vet said this is a major no-no, as they have been known to collapse their windpipes,or break their own necks. She gave me a clinch collar (a spiked thing that looks torturous, but helps). The vet said we must break her of that tugging.
I only mention this, as the symptoms you described were simular to my puppy's problem. I just pray the damage is healable.
Keep us updated, man. My prayers are with a complete recovery..
------------------------------------------------
From SW Florida, A proud member of iboats since
March 25, 2001

The old me

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of dog is she, tommays? I'm a huge animal freak and I hate to hear of stuff like that.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

:'(That is so sad Tom. Hope for the best for your four pawed friend. In this family, the loss of a pet is just about like loosing a family member. It hurts when they are sick and nothing you can do about it except make them comfortable.

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm sorry Tommays. Several months back we had to put down our family dog of 13 years and it was extremely hard on both of us.

Unfortunately, they don't live forever except in our memories.

Enjoy every last moment you have with her.:'(

Ron G

Commander

Sorry to hear that Tommays,hopefully the antibotics will help and everthing will be fine.

sangerwaker

Commander

Best of luck for the pooch, and your family.

Hopefully the meds will help.

SoulWinner

Commander

For you and your dear freind:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks GF. I hadn't seen that. Wow, made me think about Spike and BooBoo and Sugar Bear, three of our good little furry children that have preceeded us.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bummer tommays, we're in the same boat although I haven't shared. Our 10 YO female Yellow Lab "Maggie" is apparently experiencing slow kidney failure. So far it is very hard to believe as she seems the same. She just pukes a little. That's why we took her to the vet, but apparently she'll be able to hold down less and less and will slowly starve to death . . . :'( She gets meds to help her keep food down, but they told us 6 months max.

Personally I think these are good lessons for kids. Hopefully, they learn how precious life is and that it is also fragile. Hopefully they also learn the relative value of human life. When I was 11 we had a puppy that was hit and killed by a car. My youngest brother witnessed it and while my Mom was consoling us she also told all of us to think how we would feel if it was him instead of the dog. Message received!!

tommays

Admiral

Well i got back the blood work and the white cell count was very high

They seem to think the tumor is infected and she is responding to the meds

But last night she was breathing so hard she was rocking the bed like a coupple of teenagers

But i gotta say mentaly she still seems very happy :)

Thanks all

Tommays

KaGee

Admiral

heycods said:
I knew from the header I didnt wont to read that.:'(

Ya, me too. We're all here for ya Tom.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry Tom. People that do not own pets are clueless as to what they mean to a family...they are family. Take care of her as she would you.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear Tommays. June 15 we had to put down our lovely Annabelle, a 10 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. Some kind of liver and immune problem, even Purdue University couldn't explain it. Red blood count very low. Tongue and gums turned grey. Respiration was 90 per minute near the end. Vet even brought his own Black Lab and gave her a transfusion, but she wouldn't respond.
Six weeks and we still step over her when we get up in the night, think about her everytime we get in the truck, (all dogs like to ride in trucks). We would just like to pet her one more time.
Sure hope your's doesn't come to this, but here's a poem that helped us.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness that the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though, had you no home, I would follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home of all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect your life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see it fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest -- and I will leave you knowing that with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

By Beth Norman Harris

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel for you tommays.

I have had that same feeling in the vets office many times. It never gets easier, maybe even harder with each visit. I hope that some way some how, things improve for your faithfull friend.

When I read all of the replys I became sad, the poems really got to me.

Best of luck tommays