Coil info

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to change out the factory starter coil with a new one on my 5.7 thunderbolt 4 alpha one gen 2. I was curious if I would be able to cross reference the part number to a high output coil, like from Accel or MSD. Has anyone ever done this and is there any difference versus OEM?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Coil info

I would recommend replacing with the OEM coil. Your OEM coil is more than sufficient to do the job it was designed to do. High performance coils are not necessery unless you are using multi spark ignition systems.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does Accel and/or MSD make coils specific for marine applications? Don't use parts meant for an auto on your boat, they are different.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont see what the difference would be..MSD and Accel products are made the same as OEM, but offer a stronger current.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Car parts are not all the same as boat parts. I'm not sure why a coil would be different, but a starter is different and so are all relays. A boat with the plug in the back can collect fumes from the gas tank, while a car engine compartment will not. If these fumes find a spark then BOOM. The marine starters, marine relays, and marine battery chargers will not throw a spark and cause ignition. Now generally there shouldn't be fumes in the boat anyway - but better safe then BOOM.

I have seen this myself when the floats on my merc were stuck and gas dripped out of the front of the carb - and right onto the starter relay. I kept cranking the engine and did not have any fire.

Go to the MSD or Accel web sites and see if they make a marine coil...

- Brian

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Are the operating characteristics are within spec for your motor?

What is the benefit of stronger current?

How many times per second will that coil fire in a typical automotive application vs in a boat motor?

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the coil with OEM coil and my problems with hard starting while hot has been solved...thanks guys for your help.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WanabeBoater said:
I replaced the coil with OEM coil and my problems with hard starting while hot has been solved...thanks guys for your help.

I am having a similar issue with my 5.0L alpha I gen 1. Starts fine cold, but needs to be held wide open to fire up when hot. I was convinced the carb needs a rebuild, and was waiting until the end of the season. Maybe I should try checking the coil....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have a fuel percolation problem. Hot fuel boiling and flooding the engine. Before you shut the engine off, especially after a long run, let it idle for two minutes before shutting it off. Then pop the engine cover to allow cool air into the compartment. If this doesn't help, you need carb work.