starter problem

javelin3

Recruit
merc 150 xr6, intermittent starting, when ignition is turned on just a click, will goe for 3-4 days without the problem. replaced solenoid, worked for 3 days. If I engage the bendix to flywheel and have someone crank it, it will start immediately. any suggestions?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: starter problem

Possible bad connections. Remove both ends of each battery cable (pos & neg) clean nice and shiney then reinstall. IMHO jtexas is spot on. Reguardless make sure the connections are clean, and cables are in good condition.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Probably a bad spot in the windings. But bad grounds do funny things too...

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

My starter had a similar problem, took the starter to work, took it apart put it on the lathe and resurfaced the communtator- works great now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Your problem is inadequate starting current.

Can be caused by anything in the high current starting loop including starter brushes being worn, dirty armature, bad solenoid contacts (you solved this part), dirty connections, and last but not least a bad battery.

To start your engine your battery needs to whoop out somewhere around 150+ amperes while maintaining good terminal voltage; like 11+ volts.

A sulphated battery cannot do this.

Inadequate current, regardless of the reason, will not allow the starter to spin up to enough rpms to spin the bendix out......hence you had to do it by hand.

So, clean up all your terminals (take them apart and clean post and lug) and take your battery to Autozone or WW and get it tested for starting current. If that doesn't fix it go into your starter and put in new brushes and carefully polish up your armature. A little oil on the bendix gear wouldn't hurt either.

You're problem will go away.

Mark

Tris Daniel

Recruit

Hi everyone, does anyone know if i can replace my starter motor with a regular off the shelf new starter ? i i have a Chevy straight 6 250 engine.

Paul eagen

Seaman

I just went through a similar problem with mine. the battery was at 11.8v but would not turn the engine over. I checked every thing except the battery because it was only one year old. every thing was fine. then I checked the battery. It had one bad cell in it. Glad it was still under warranty:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Should start a new thread instead of tacking onto a 3 year old one.