OMC Cobra 4.3L coming out of gear?

whl2c

Recruit
Well I got to take my 1986 OMC Cobra w/4.3L V6 out today. It's the first time its been run in 2+ years. I had one odd occurance that I wanted to run by everyone though... Boat was running great, after about 5 minutes of running with boat at normal operating temp i wanted to try WOT. Boat handled great and was really handling the high rmps well... then all of the sudden the boat dramatically slowed (like I had just put it in neutral from WOT) and the rpms shot up. My first thought was that the dang prop had fallen off or something, because thats what it acted like happened. I immediately pulled the trim all the way up and prop was still there, no sign of anything wrong. I tried to recreate the problem later but boat ran GREAT for the rest of the day, wide open and idle. I'm aware of OMC shift issues but the boat seems to be shifting in and out of gear well. Its almost like it just came out of gear. I was NOT turning, so I can't see how air would get under the prop... Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra 4.3L coming out of gear?

I would be!

Shift cable may be on the hairy edge of its adjustment range. Your cable could also be ready to fail. The housing starts failing which effects the adjustment.