Engine temp question

rpickoff

Cadet
My 4.3L 190hp merc engine always ran at about 165-170 degrees. I've noticed this summer when I run it hard it goes up to 180; no higher. I run in clean, freshwater and have 130 hours on the engine. I don't think the water pump was ever serviced but is scheduled to be done in the Fall. Am I ok or should I have the impeller replaced now? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine temp question

You now have an early warning that there is a cooling system problem. It won't get better, but it will only get worse.

Am I ok or should I have the impeller replaced now?

Crystalball1.jpg

I just checked, looks like 3 weeks from today, you will be out on the water about 10 miles from home in a sudden storm when the impeller goes out. However, you were too busy to be watching the gaugess and the engine really overheated and it appears you will now need to replace the head gasket, get the warped head replaced.

rpickoff

Cadet

Don said:
You now have an early warning that there is a cooling system problem. It won't get better, but it will only get worse.

Crystalball1.jpg

I just checked, looks like 3 weeks from today, you will be out on the water about 10 miles from home in a sudden storm when the impeller goes out. However, you were too busy to be watching the gaugess and the engine really overheated and it appears you will now need to replace the head gasket, get the warped head replaced.

rpickoff

Cadet

Don said:

Crystalball1.jpg

Thanks, Admiral. The first part of your reply is appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Gotta just love a guy like Don.He`s right though.If you don`t take care of a trouble at the first indication it WILL come home to BITE you where it hurts,

rpickoff

Cadet

Thanks. I agree. I'll take care of it. Its just that weekends are supposed to be sarcasm-free.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Close, weekends aren't sarcasm free, but the sarcasm is free.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey - 180shabah - what unit? Is that a Marine Corps shield? Can't really see it too well. Also, what's up with South Boston, VA?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

boatgrunt said:
Hey - 180shabah - what unit? Is that a Marine Corps shield? Can't really see it too well. Also, what's up with South Boston, VA?
It is not a Marine Corps shield, it is the logo for Mariah boats.
As for South Boston. The story goes that several of the town founders were originally from Boston, but moved south to make thier fortunes in tobacco(which they certainly did). When it came time to name the town, Boston obviously was already taken, so South Boston it became.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If 180 is something new then you need to find out what is the cause. In fresh water 180 or even 190 is ok. In saltwater 170 is max in my book.

It could be water pump, Blocked manifold but that more common in saltwater, Thermostate, restriced water intake screen, circulation pump or you sucked up some mud.