Leaky speed tube on Futura

mrhelper

Cadet
In checking out my new (used) Futura, I discovered one of the speed tubes has trouble holding air. It is deflating in a matter of hours. Looks like I'll be repairing it, but it got me wondering... What would happen if one of the speed tubes in the hull were to deflate (or partially deflate) while on the water? How would it impact boat handling? Would it be a serious issue, or an annoyance?

Any ideas would be welcome.

mrhelper

Cadet
Re: Leaky speed tube on Futura

On closer inspection, I noticed the speed tubes are surrounded by protective material. Are they removable? Otherwise, I'm at a loss as to how to check for leaks and make repairs.

Anyone out there with experience in checking Futura speed tubes for leaks?

Moosehunter

Cadet

Check the valve. One of my speed tubes had a bad valve. I discovered this after driving 1 hr to the lake i went out anyway and had no problems. If its leaking at the tube you could dive under it in clear water and look for bubbles. I take mine in to be fixed if i have a puncture.

mrhelper

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

Unlike the rest of the boat, the speed tubes seem like they would be harder to check for leaks. The tube itself is much like the keel tube, but unlike the keel tube, most of it is invisible - being surrounded on the top by the floor material and a protective layer on the bottom (presumably to protect the tube itself from being damaged by beaching). I suppose looking for bubbles in clear water from underneath the boat might work, but the location of the bubbles and the location of the leak could easily be in two different places. And if a leak DOES exist, then how in the world would you get at the tube itself without opening up either the floor or removing the protective layer around the tube?

Hopefully it is just the valve. Any suggestions on how to check that? Spray the closed valve with soapy water and look for bubbles?

And am I correct in that you are saying the boat works acceptably with a speed tube low or flat?

Thanks again for your help!

I have the exact same issues on my boat, if anyone could answer ... would be much appreciated.

avius

Cadet

I have a Zodiac Mark VI that needed to be patched on the speed tube valve, and a few places on the speed tube itself. I filled a spraybottle with dish soap and water and sprayed the tube while fully inflated. I was able to find the leaks this way.

manitoban

Recruit

Sorry to revive an old thread once again.

Avius - How did you remove the speed tube from the "sleeve" it resides in? I checked the valve on mine and it's not leaking, I went underneath the boat and the protective sleeve shows no obvious rips/tears so I need to take the tube out and do the soapy water test.

In the manual it says there are special tools to remove the tubes and to contact your local dealer. Does anyone know what these are?