What preventitive maintenance should I do on 25hp Mariner

neil271978

Seaman
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a boat with a 25 hp Mariner. I'm not sure what year it is but I'm pretty sure it is an 80's model. Anyway since I bought it i've had problems starting it. I finally took it to a shop and they said the carberator needed to be cleaned and the water pump had to be replaced. They said something about it making the engine run hot. Someone told me they were full of it and just cheating me out of money but I don't know. Anyway I'm just trying to find out what kinds of preventative maintenance I can do with the motor to keep it from not starting again?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What preventitive maintenance should I do on 25hp Mariner

Well if you don't know the history of the motor a carb cleaning and a waterpump change are a good idea, first on my list when I get a motor I know nothing about.

What is your starting procedure anyways?

neil271978

Seaman

andy6374 said:
Well if you don't know the history of the motor a carb cleaning and a waterpump change are a good idea, first on my list when I get a motor I know nothing about.

What is your starting procedure anyways?

neil271978

Seaman

My starting procedure is:
Pull out choke, ensure it is in neutral, turn throttle to start position, pump ball until firm, then crank. Someone told me if it doesn't start to mess with the choke by pulling it in and out and then leaving it halfway pulled out. That seems to work. It has always taken a good few pulls before it would start.