power steering help needed

bountyhunterss

Recruit
1999 lund baron 5.7 merc I/O put the boat in the water .no power str installed new actuator .and a rebuilt pump [by a dealer] bled lines .checked cables . I:M missing something ,need HELP . can't figure this one out . disconnected the cables things seem free .help in ohio .jim

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power steering help needed

If there are no pinches/kinks in the lines, cooler checks out ok, bring it back to the dealer. There is a relief valve in that pump and if it's a rebuild had to come with some kind of warranty. Some rebuilt units come without the reservoir or valve and it may have been put together wrong.

bountyhunterss

Recruit

yea I though of that ,makes some sense. me and the guy at carquest took the check valve back out this morning .things look ok .BUT .you can;t see in the rebuilt pump .could be .the rebuilder messed up .

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bountyhunterss said:
1999 lund baron 5.7 merc I/O put the boat in the water .no power str installed new actuator .and a rebuilt pump [by a dealer] bled lines .checked cables . I:M missing something ,need HELP . can't figure this one out . disconnected the cables things seem free .help in ohio .jim

So, after all that, you forgot to tell us what the problem is.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

we need some more info on what its not doin or doin. is the pump make noise when turned? does it growl? is it fighting itself? is the steering really stiff? a dealer installed it and your trying to fix it? contact them to fix it.

bountyhunterss

Recruit

thecarquest car parts dealer only rebuilt power pump [.no marine dealer involved ].I:M capable doing the work .

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

as Searay3 mentioned, Did you verify flow through the cooler?

bountyhunterss

Recruit

yes,I bypassed the cooler .with clear tubing so I could watch the flow, MON i:m HAVING THE POWER PUMP REDONE AGAIN .TALKED TO THERE TECH DEPT .AND HE; SAYS TO DO IT .THANKS GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT.