installing a new permanant fuel tank

captainspike

Cadet
howdo you "earth ground "a new permanant fuel tank?im not sure what that means or where to ground it out to.anty help would be great thanks.its a 14 gal tank if that matters....

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: installing a new permanant fuel tank

Assuming it is a metal tank, to the negative terminal of your battery. If it is a plastic tank, you don't need to.

Most people connect the negative terminal of the battery to a permanently mounted bus bar. Then anything else that needs grounding is attached to that bus bar.

In the case of the fuel tank, there should be a grounding attachment point on the tank. This is often a small tab sticking up on the top of the tank.

captainspike

Cadet

thanks fishing dan,it is a plastic tank ,i just didnt know if i had to ground it out to the boat.thanks for your help!ps hi from leominster ma GO PATS!!!

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No problem capt. You only need to ground the metal parts of the fuel system. Fortunately, they make some wonderful plastic fuel system parts these days.

Go Pats! I live less than a mile from the stadium. I can open my window and have natural surround sound for all games. 8)

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

Also add a wire from the fill hole, (if its metal) to the tank, and then to the neg. battery side