Trim/tilt Motor Woes

george3819

Cadet
I have a 1997 115 Johnson with a trim/tilt malfunction. When i press the button I hear a click in the relays but nothing happens sometimes. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim/tilt Motor Woes

Yep. Probably a bad contact in one of the relays. This happens. They're not too expensive to replace.

george3819

Cadet

Thats pretty funny I had it in the shop and the mechanic told me the trim tilt motor had to be replaced and this would run me a couple hundred bucks.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Well he might still be right. To confirm you need to check the voltage going to the trim tilt motor when you hit the switch.

I think you have a two wire trim/tilt motor on your model. This will have a blue wire going to it and a green wire. The blue wire is for up and the green wire is down. You need to check whether you get 12V to these wires when you hit the switch. Does it work one way and not the other or not work up or down?

Check out this page for help
http://www.boatpartsinfo.com/engineparts/trimtilt/

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

You can take everything out of the system, except the motor.

Run a jumper to the individual up/ down wires with 12volts.

If it works both ways , you know its in the relays , or the switch.

KYhunter

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know about the 115 but, my father-in-laws '89 GT-150 had a similar problem. It would go down but, not up. One relay clicked and the other didn't. I swapped the two relays and it went up. From that, the down relay was bad. At least he could take it to the shop to get it serviced.

John